kart_sharp.jpg?1342810359

kart_rear.jpg?1342810358

Top Speed:59 MPH
0-60: Probably Never
Horsepower: 28 @ 11000 RPM
Torque: 33 @ 9000 RPM
Transmission: 1 Speed
Drivetrain: RWD

Karts have played a pivotal role in the careers of many top racing drivers, providing a vital stepping stone that they can use in order to ascend to the higher echelons of motorsport. Originally emanating from California in the late 1950s in their most basic form, it's appropriate that the most advanced manifestations of these pint-sized powerhouses are currently plying their trade at the Simraceway Performance Driving Center on one of the state's most renowned tracks.

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the Kart in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of our high-performance workhorse. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts
  • Facebook:Risto Kappet

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

I love the kart and wish it was used more in bigger (prized) events but even though it has recived many upgrades and i remember someone saying it handles exactly like in the SRW centre, i cant help to notice how planted the thing is.

The overall speed and grip levels seem pretty well done, but not only does the rear never snap except when you lock the brakes, it feels like the engine curve is too linear.

Maybe rotax (max) karts in USA are different, but atleast what i have driven here, the engine has low power until about 6000 rpm and thus chassis understeers, but there is a big jump in power from 7000rpm upwards which also livens the handling. At the range of 7000-10 000rpm the kart should handle like the Atom. 

Rotax_Engine_rtx.png

I would not post this if the numbers were same in the engine files, but i cant check that due to encryptions :)

- Launger

#3 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

As i read about the kart championship, i must bump this thread.

Had another racing kart weekend driving the rotax max for a huge amount of laps and for comparison, the first thing i did when i got home is that i jumepd behind SRW kart.

Its amazing how big the difference is: SRW kart never slides, you only turn the kart in its direction but never corrigate.

A real kart on the limit you are always controlling the slip angle, not avoiding it. At high rpms the rear is always light although controllable.

The current (understeering) feelless handling should apply to the lowest RPMs at very low speed

- Launger

#4 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Also you must remember that racing karts use ackerman steering

http://en.wikipedia....eering_geometry

I dont think that is stimulated in the game atm, atleast not visually, that changes alot as it jacks the kart 

http://www.karting.c.../kartsetup.html

- Launger

#5 Bigbazz

Bigbazz

Seasoned

• 73 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

I have to agree that the Kart simulation is not right. I did a lot of Karting when I was young, though not at all recently.  But then I've not experienced any sim that can do Karting well, with most cars in a sim you can drive it like a real life car but to drive a Kart in a sim (In Simraceway and GT6 for example) you have to adapt yourself to the sims style of driving, it's a completely different experience with completely different driving techniques.

A nice novelty all the same and racing is still racing, I can understand why people enjoy it... But it's not the same as real karting even remotely in terms of how they drive/feel/react

#6 elitespeedway

elitespeedway

Semi-Pro

• 140 posts
  • LocationPoole, UK

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

The points above are very true. As much as I love driving the SRW kart I do drive it completely different to real life.

The front tyres heat way too much because of understeer which is odd for a rear wheel drive.

Lounger is right with the power, if this is a senior version it should feel like a boost of power at around 7500rpm optimum exhaust valve setting.

The main thing I would like altered is to have to control the throttle on the exit of corners because the back end wants to step out. At the moment it's just brake,turn,full throttle because it's planted on the corners.

Also I know Lounger has found a way of riding the curbs but I feel they seem like your on an ice rink when using them.

You Win Some, You Lose Some, You Wreck Some

#7 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

And also please put starter on the kart, it doesnt start when you stall it but the button from where in real life you can start it is right in your face next to the wheel...

- Launger

#8 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Ok if i had to give suggestions of stuff that SRW could do easily to make the kart drive more realistic with more realistic changes i would say:

1) change the weight distribution range from 49:51-51:49 to 43:57-44:56.  43.5:56.5 is the suggested weight distribution in most and atleast my CRG kart frame for 125cc engine class. It would allow locking rear brakes more without snapping.

2) drop grip levels. i would say 10% from front tyres and 20% from rears. the kart times in the sim are much faster than in real life and i expect the track to be accurate. real life kart does not drive on rails even in ideal conditions, especially if:

3) add more torque in higher revs. even with understeery setup, at over 8500rpm you spin wheels if you have full gas in a corner. RPM changes character of the kart alot and with torque you can simulate that. at low rpm kart always understeers, at high rpm always very oversteery unless if you are delicate. check any karting video and you see how low degrees of rotation are neccesary. i know the optimal grip level of steering lock can be changed to very easily in rfactor sim. atm with default 24 steering lock i laugh if i imagine someone driving like this in real life. you maybe turn wheels 15 deg maximum if you try to lift the rear tyre and stop at the same time... in rain. in optimal dry conditions not more than 5 deg is neccesary

I would be glad to test those settings, i think you can make it much better easily without changing any mechanics or fundemental files much

- Launger

#9 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Here is root of all problems, the kart engine file powercurve is totally linear, nothing like the explosiveness of power you should experience, like i posted in the real power curve in my first post in this thread. No point to do anything with the chassis before engine is done good. I say again, if you allow then i can help with all of this.

Both rfactor2 and GSC2013 have very nice kart mods so its totally doable in a car-related physicsworld.

Rotax_Engine_rtx.pngkart.png

- Launger

#10 Mr_Jolly

Mr_Jolly

Semi-Pro

• Banned
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

Here is root of all problems, the kart engine file powercurve is totally linear, nothing like the explosiveness of power you should experience, like i posted in the real power curve in my first post in this thread. No point to do anything with the chassis before engine is done good. I say again, if you allow then i can help with all of this.

Both rfactor2 and GSC2013 have very nice kart mods so its totally doable in a car-related physicsworld.

kart.png

section 8

B. License Restrictions.

You may not: (a) modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, create derivative works based upon the Software, or otherwise attempt to discover any source code; (B) copy the Software; © rent, lease, sublicense, or grant a security interest in the Software; (d) remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Software, including the code underlying the Software; or (e) use the Software for any reason other than User's non-commercial private use. Further, You agree not to modify the Software in any manner or form, or to use modified versions of the Software, including (without limitation) for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized access to the Software.

as of august 1st 2014 i am owed a prize from 7 months 3 weeks ago Sunday, 8th of December, 2013, 11:10AM PST (7:10PM GMT / 20:10 CET)
simraceway=simdontpay

#11 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Im totally ok with sacrificing myself to show how badly this is made. All this speak of real instructors and people driving the karts back to back and the engine file is more linear than on most cars. Its just another thing in SRW that doesnt add up, like coss saying there is work being done behind scenes, when current live game is littered with bugs and delays which are booting players to drive elsewhere.. With wrong engine characteristics, which is the heart of kart handling, there is no point to even think about changing other values first

Btw if you ask how i got that engine curve, i did not decypher anything, my brain is a computer and by judging how fast pixels fly by as i accellerate the kart, i drew the picture in paint by memory ;)

- Launger

#12 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:10 AM

Legal mumbo jumbo about stuff....

Just dug this thread up from the grave and really it's funny that HP and torque curves are not published.  It would help people tune gear ratios for example instead of half guessing as to where to keep the rpm into the next gear.  I know it helps tons in AC, etc.

I have to agree about the handling, and very well the weight balance issue. 

I have driven TAG direct drive karts twice, both for an hour of drive time each.  The first time I went, I spun twice... not used to the rear brakes after the straight doing top speed into a hard left....  But after that it got easy to feel the rear end limit and despite slight lockups, not spin!  The hp is indeed peaky, the higher speed corners seemed more driftable than the low speed, contrary to what I expected at first (before then I only did the cheesy 10 hp karts indoors).

But where people will look down on me, despite that I will say it:

Rf1/srw tire model is very On/Off in terms  of grip.  Only the soft street cars can be slid, the sticky/stiff race cars snap and spin.  Meanwhile you can watch a F1 or GT race and see sometimes they do slide and can recover.   That's where I have a problem with no TC at all, if rear goes, i have no sense to recover... but in rf2/ac, I can, even on a race car?  

Keep in mind, a lot of us have raced in real life whether it be karts with rear only brakes, or cars without ABS/TC even power steering and never had this difficulty in handling the car at the limit, so please don't say it is by design, because it should not be.  If I wanted that, I would play F1 2014 garbage or some other fake "real" sim from consoles.  Don't get me started on Forza 4,5 where you can be sliding and it will randomly make you lose control- rewind it and back in same corner, same slide, no problem?! 

This inconsistent feel/control is what makes a game turn from challenging into frustrating.

#13 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 653 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke, Hampshire

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

Another ban Phil? Lol. Why do they bother? ......
SQ 890 Miles raced: 25k+ Total points: 35k+ Cars:64

#14 CROSS

CROSS

Novice

• 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

They are putting no effort into the kart. They should take the Rotax name off of it because nothing about the kart simulates a real world Rotax Senior racing kart. The handling is drastically different, and the engine is off as others have shown. Now with the new EVO engine it will be even farther off.

Here is the new dyno specs of teh Rotax EVo engine

10828022_1569140096633341_20021776926082

#15 KZ2Iceman97

KZ2Iceman97

Novice

• 47 posts
  • Facebook:Cameron Scott Dance
  • Twitter:KZ2Iceman97
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

Being a kart driver myself (Ok I don't drive a Rotax, I drive a KZ2 but have driven karts with rear brakes only on enough horsepower in the past) the SRW kart is miles off what an actual kart is like. There is no power steering for a start which is able to be simulated in the game but isn't, the front grip is almost non existent even with full castor, power is quite low for a Rotax where as irl it has quite a bit of grip and enough power to not wheelspin in the dry if on the racing line and with optimum temp tyres. If you are going to provide the ability to drive a kart then at least some effort should be put into making it as realistic as possible and hey, this is a sim after all

KZ2Iceman97 Both sim & real world racer | The flying Kiwi 
iceshard989 on YouTube | KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter | Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

#16 CROSS

CROSS

Novice

• 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:42 AM

Just tried driving the kart again for the hot lap event. It is laughable to say this is a kart simulator. The only thing it simulates is the look. The handling of the kart is all wrong. You have zero grip when braking. You have to brake so lightly for so long, and forget about trying to trail brake. There is zero grip in the tires. I could not even begin to drive a proper line that you would in a Rotax(different line then what a shifter takes). If you slowed down enough to take a good line for a Rotax in this "sim" you bog your engine way to much. The kart just lacks the front grip needed to take the line you would at the speed you would.

#17 KZ2Iceman97

KZ2Iceman97

Novice

• 47 posts
  • Facebook:Cameron Scott Dance
  • Twitter:KZ2Iceman97
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

Just tried driving the kart again for the hot lap event. It is laughable to say this is a kart simulator. The only thing it simulates is the look. The handling of the kart is all wrong. You have zero grip when braking. You have to brake so lightly for so long, and forget about trying to trail brake. There is zero grip in the tires. I could not even begin to drive a proper line that you would in a Rotax(different line then what a shifter takes). If you slowed down enough to take a good line for a Rotax in this "sim" you bog your engine way to much. The kart just lacks the front grip needed to take the line you would at the speed you would.

to put into perspective. It is like driving on canvas or even slicks in the wet. no grip at all if you want to put it into simplified terms

KZ2Iceman97 Both sim & real world racer | The flying Kiwi 
iceshard989 on YouTube | KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter | Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

#18 CROSS

CROSS

Novice

• 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:37 AM

As bad as it is to say the kart in Simraceway handles more like driving my kart on ice then it does driving on dry pavement.

#19 k1w1racer

k1w1racer

Contributor

• 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Nice video, Corey. How many camera's were used. Lots of different angles of view and perspective's.

#20 CROSS

CROSS

Novice

• 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

Nice video, Corey. How many camera's were used. Lots of different angles of view and perspective's.

Just a couple Go Pros and one hand held camcorder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users