• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I thought coss said a while ago when the new physics were released, there were plans to make some official karting tournaments?

Yes and that will happen, but since Rick came up with this idea - let's treat it as a test run and see how it goes. I'll support with everything I can.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#22 elitespeedway

elitespeedway

Semi-Pro

• 140 posts
  • LocationPoole, UK

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Great news, as the kart is also super cheap for everyone to afford i would expect high entries in future tournaments.

Then I look forward to tracks such as PFI, Genk, Mansell Raceway, La conca, Clay Pigeon, Forest Edge :D (I can always be hopeful)

Good work Rick. Thanks for organising this Tourni

You Win Some, You Lose Some, You Wreck Some

#23 RickSpeed

RickSpeed

Semi-Pro

• 238 posts
  • Facebook:Gibbseykins
  • LocationHuddersfield, UK

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Rick, I believe these Challenges and the whole karting area in Simraceway is popular enough to be scored with a proper, long tail system. The one used in real, FIA regulated karting championships looks good: 1st - 25, 2nd - 20, 3rd - 16, 4th - 13, 5th - 11, 6th - 10, 7th - 9, 8th - 8, 9th - 7, 10th - 6, 11th - 5, 12th - 4, 13th - 3, 14th - 2, 15th - 1

Once you settle on the concept and configuration of events that will run in August (I'm willing to change the current ones or start new ones on top of current ones just for this championship), then I'd like to propose prizes.  :)

That sounds great, lets do it. To start with, I want to be careful to keep things simple, not too heavy on everyone's time and not have the championship too long for people to commit to. So with those in mind, perhaps we can tweak the current format for August to:

• Entries into the championship are taken on the forum like they are now. I'll maintain a Google Doc as we are now and results and standings will be posted as often as I can. (usually updated once a day). 
  • The (theoretical) SRW World Karting Championship starts on the 1st August.
  • Each week in August there are 3 (longer) challenge events for competitors to compete in. Participants can set their times at their own leisure in that week.
  • Each challenge race lasts around 10-15 mins max.
  • Tracks will be looped between the 4 tracks available. (see below for a possible 5th)
  • At the end of each week, each of the 3 event results are gathered and scores awarded as quoted above. So a maximum score of 75 points per week is available to any one person. 
  • Deadline for week 1 (rounds 1-3) is the 8th August where the boards are expired and 3 more challenge events begin for the week.
  • Deadline for week 2 (rounds 4-6) is the 15th August. Again, the boards are expired and 3 more challenge events begin.
  • Deadline for week 3 (rounds 7-9) is the 22nd August. Same again, expire the boards and set up 3 more.
  • The final deadline for week 4 (rounds 10-12) is the 29th of August

So the championship will last 12 rounds in total. The scores will all be added as we go along each week but the winner is the one with the most points after 12 rounds. SRW_Cossacco's involvement would be to set up the 3 challenge events each week, looping the tracks available and any prizes he see's fit to reward players with at the end of the season. 

There are 4 kart tracks that I can see in the game, Sonoma, Paradise Bay, Shinjuku and Troyton. I have been looking at the Auto Club Infield little track, does anyone think that might make a good 5th? or just keep to the 4? 

Do we want any form of skillquant levels taken into account here? I'm thinking not for this first season at least, but feel free to express your opinion if you think we should do.

I am open to suggestions on any of the points above, so please feel free to discuss here. 

SRW Leagues

Home of the SRW Fantasy League - Win Prizes for Guessing the Outcome of SRO!

My SQ: 968

#24 DavidHinshaw

DavidHinshaw

Semi-Pro

• 164 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hey Rick,

Great stuff from you and Coss. I did have one thought. What about the possibility of some head to head stuff once a week. Pick a day, set a couple of times up throughout the day, have a couple of guys as the "admins" to moderate the races for different time zones etc. and maybe award bonus points or prizes. Would be nice to see guys going at it in a kart race.

#25 RickSpeed

RickSpeed

Semi-Pro

• 238 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the encouragement David and it would be great to do live races too. It would be something I'd like to do but there is a couple of issues that I can't help but be concerned about:

If we have the challenges as mentioned and a scenario occurs where player A is 2 points ahead of player B for the championship win, and cannot make it to the last live race, he would feel pretty deflated he could not make it to the live race and player B wins the championship. I know I would be gutted. Maybe if we did a couple of mid-season live races, it won't be as bad. 

Another factor would be live race participants. If we were to host a live race, we would need it closing off to championship entrants only. We'd need admins to do that for us - just saying. It might be an extra overhead Coss doesn't need/want for now - only he can comment on that one. We could perhaps see how the first season develops and go from there.

Adjudication - We would need some sort of marshalling at these events if championship points are at stake.

I'd love to have live events livestreamed and commentated. Again, Coss' input on that side of things. 

The way we could get around all this I suppose is to make it so that the live races do not count towards the championship points i.e.  just for fun? Then we could simply set a time and anyone and everyone is free to join, have fun and log off with that experience. 

I am of the mind set of seeing how the first season with challenge events progress. Lets see what interest we get and we can develop the series from there. Start small, develop it and scale it. What do you think?

SRW Leagues

#26 Shadowbounty

Shadowbounty

Seasoned

• 82 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hello, i'll try and make it.

#27 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the encouragement David and it would be great to do live races too. It would be something I'd like to do but there is a couple of issues that I can't help but be concerned about:

If we have the challenges as mentioned and a scenario occurs where player A is 2 points ahead of player B for the championship win, and cannot make it to the last live race, he would feel pretty deflated he could not make it to the live race and player B wins the championship. I know I would be gutted. Maybe if we did a couple of mid-season live races, it won't be as bad. 

Another factor would be live race participants. If we were to host a live race, we would need it closing off to championship entrants only. We'd need admins to do that for us - just saying. It might be an extra overhead Coss doesn't need/want for now - only he can comment on that one. We could perhaps see how the first season develops and go from there.

Adjudication - We would need some sort of marshalling at these events if championship points are at stake.

I'd love to have live events livestreamed and commentated. Again, Coss' input on that side of things. 

The way we could get around all this I suppose is to make it so that the live races do not count towards the championship points i.e.  just for fun? Then we could simply set a time and anyone and everyone is free to join, have fun and log off with that experience. 

I am of the mind set of seeing how the first season with challenge events progress. Lets see what interest we get and we can develop the series from there. Start small, develop it and scale it. What do you think?

Before I get any further, want to let you know the reason why Kart hasnt been in Race-Offs yet. Reason it fairly simple - there's no driver in it and it looks hilarious on the stream. 

However, please treat this Championship as a test run. We need to be realistic - It's hard to predict it's development. Let's focus on refining the idea and getting the logistics behind it. Time for live races will come later  :)

By the way, could you prepare a graphical diagram for it? I feel like the concept is a bit too complicated and doesn't need to be.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#28 RickSpeed

RickSpeed

Semi-Pro

• 238 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

It does look pretty silly with no driver hehe.

Yea I think for the August season (at least), we'll keep things very simple with just challenge events. 

I'll draft up some more solid event details and diagrams for you Coss

SRW Leagues

#29 RickSpeed

RickSpeed

Semi-Pro

• 238 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

20 Hours Left to get your entries in for this current championship. See 1st post for Event links. 

Standings so far:

1. elitespeedway 40 points

2. dahrec 30 points

3. Shadowbounty 8 points

4. CrasHMF 4 points

5. KKND 3 points

6. DonSolo45 2 points

SRW Leagues

#30 KKND

KKND

Semi-Pro

• 105 posts
  • LocationBavaria

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

hmm, drove all of them except Shinjuku yesterday, I did not find any times from me in the Leader board. Anyway, I think its fair to say Congratz to elitespeedway.

looking forward to the next one

edit: I also drive for Race2Win

Edited by KKND, 01 August 2013 - 10:54 AM.

right pedal is for going faster, left pedal i am not sure what to do with it

#31 elitespeedway

elitespeedway

Semi-Pro

• 140 posts
  • LocationPoole, UK

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thanks KKND

It was a good fun tournament and the thanks must go to RickSpeed for organising it.

I'm also very much looking forward to the next one.

You Win Some, You Lose Some, You Wreck Some

#32 RickSpeed

RickSpeed

Semi-Pro

• 238 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Congratulations to elitespeedway for the block wins across the boards and becoming our first SRW Karting World Champion. Here are the final standings:

Final Positions:

first_place-2659a538c2910342d08f7bb22393  elitespeedway   40 

2   dahrec   26

3   KKND   20

4   Shadowbounty   8

5   CrasHMF   3

6   DonSolo45   2

Team Winner: Race2Win

Thanks to everyone for taking part!

Stay tuned for the next season which is going to be bigger, better and open to everyone. See this thread for details and feel free to make suggestions for future seasons.

SRW Leagues

#33 DavidHinshaw

DavidHinshaw

Semi-Pro

• 164 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hey Rick,

Great job putting this together! Congrats to all the participants. Nice to see an Race2Win team member up there. Great job KKND!

David

Race2Win

Team Creator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: karting, league, championship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users