SharpView_1200_x_450.jpg?1370038194

Rear_1200_x_450.jpg?1370038188

Top Speed: 184 MPH
0-60: 4.0 Seconds
Horsepower: 580 @ 6000 RPM
Torque: 556 @ 4250 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: RWD

After 36 years of continuous production, the popular Camaro took a seven-year break in 2002. It returned with a vengeance, however, with the fifth-generation car receiving an award-winning redesign. Initially introduced at the 2011 Chicago Auto Show, the ZL1 joined the LS, LT, and SS on the Chevrolet production line a year later.

Like its fifth-gen brethren, the ZL1 was based on the 2006 Camaro Concept that had wowed the crowds at the North American International Auto Show. However it was also endowed with a range of track-ready features that left it towering above the previously range-topping SS.

Perhaps most importantly, the newly-introduced ZL1 featured a supercharged 6.2-liter powerplant capable of knocking out 580 bhp -- making it the most powerful Camaro ever to roam the streets. It could accelerate to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and travel to a top speed of 184 mph -- performance that helped it pull off an SLS AMG-worrying hot lap around the Nurburgring in 2011!

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the ZL1 in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of our high-performance workhorse. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Nice work on the looks of the car, the interior is also very nice.

As for the handling, it doesn't seem to corner quite like I expected, which could  be down to the suspension. When driving along the straights at Laguna Seca this car rides very smoothly over the bumps, a little too smoothly.The real car has three settings on the magnetic suspension - tour, sport and track and it feels like this car has been set on the "tour" setting and not "track".

Around Nordschleife the ZL1 is around 28 seconds quicker than the slower accelerating Audi RS4 yet in the game the Audi  is as quick, if not a little quicker around a track like Laguna Seca due to the handling difference.

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#3 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 653 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke, Hampshire

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Like all american muscle cars it is overweight, and has jelly for suspension. Hence the soft ride at laguna. People call these muscle cars but when a company needs to use 6.5 liters to achieve 540 odd BHP??????????  Were sposed to be impressed? Sorry don't drive waterbeds lol

SQ 890 Miles raced: 25k+ Total points: 35k+ Cars:64

#4 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Like all american muscle cars it is overweight, and has jelly for suspension. Hence the soft ride at laguna. People call these muscle cars but when a company needs to use 6.5 liters to achieve 540 odd BHP??????????  Were sposed to be impressed? Sorry don't drive waterbeds lol

Yes but when your suspension has a track settings and the car can set a respectable time around Nordschleife you expect something a little better. The onboard video of the car gong around Nordschleife on YouTube gives the impression that it's ride is stiffer than we have in the game.

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#5 tig33r

tig33r

Contributor

• 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

I love this car, awesome work!

Here is a video.

YouTube Channel

#6 j_smith

j_smith

Semi-Pro

• 159 posts
  • Facebook:Tsukki.Zakki
  • Twitter:Jezzay86
  • LocationCayman Islands

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

One key thing you guys need to realize, in the Real ZL1, the car features Magnetic Ride, like tbold mentioned basically the suspension has no moving valves/shims like the typical dampers we know of today. it uses a magnetic ferrous type oil to vary the dampening via electromagnetic fieids in the damper unit itself.

In simraceway, there's probably no way to simulate this kind of technology. Therefore i would say the car is not 100% true representation of its actual handling.

Afterall i think SRW can only do so much to get the handling as close as possible to the real vehicle.

so please take this information into consideration on wither you think the car handles good or bad, in my personal opinion, the car is fun to drive and challenging to manage the weight transfer.

While i do agree it could be alot stiffer, I think the car handles fine the way it is now.

#7 McClusky

McClusky

Contributor

• 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

I’m just getting back into Simraceway and I bought the Camaro LZ1 and it is one of the best sim cars I’ve ever driven (in any sim). The way it “feeds” my G27, buttkicker and headphones makes me feel one with the road, just an awesome feeling.

Great job SRW!

#8 corvette60

corvette60

Novice

• 17 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AUS

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

insane, can we add the corvette road version too pls...

#9 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 222 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

Simraceway Stand-off #2: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 v. 1968 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS

I know the idea to compare two different Camaros might sound a bit silly, but please bear with me here.

Many of us petrolheads (and I’m no stranger to that) like to rant on about how cars of the past century were so much better, so much purer and involving. But thanks to SRW, we get to actually pass that theory through the crucible of simulated driving.

On the left, we have the 1968 RS/SS, nearly 50 years-old but still pretty, and filled with a 376-hp rumbling V8. On the right we have its modern-days descendant, the 2013 Camaro ZL1, bigger, heavier, and much more powerful at 580-hp of screaming supercharged V8.

What surprised me the most about this test is how similar the two are. It’s a really weird feeling to pop out of a classic car into a modern brute to find it to be pretty much the same thing. The core philosophy remains the same: big V8 upfront, drive to the back, and that’s pretty much it.
And in both cars, this has pretty remarkable effects. The first one you’ll notice however, is not that pleasant: both cars like to understeer on turn-in.

Of course that isn’t that surprising considering the architecture of the cars, but on the one hand I expected the RS/SS’s relatively low weight to do the trick and on the other hand I thought the ZL1’s massive front tires would pull it into the corners with little regards to the rules of physics. But it’s not really the case: the ‘68’s tires are pretty old school so they don’t provide all that much grip, while the 2013’s ones are a bit overwhelmed by the mass and speed of it all.

Once you’ve stopped the cars enough (pretty easy in both cases, for two road cars), you’ll find another side-effect of that pretty liberal definition. The cars do like to pitch and roll a bit. Now that wasn’t much of a surprise regarding the 68 car, as it’s the case with most of its contemporaries. But I’ll admit I was a bit disappointed by the ZL1 there.

But then, if you’ve been patient enough, the big V8s come into play to make driving those cars a memorable experience. In both of these it’s really easy to start to slide and to maintain the sidewayseness, which, coupled to a pretty epic soundtrack is enough to make you forget about these cars’ shortcomings, and perhaps even a little more so in the ZL1. And after all, that’s what they’re all about isn’t it?

But at this point we need a winner and I’m afraid it isn’t going to be the modern car. As much as I love the ZL1’s mean stance and modern take on the so very American idea of a pony car, it just doesn’t feel as special as the old car. Its dynamic weaknesses are amplified by a bit of overweight that can make it a bit frustrating on the tighter tracks: you really have to be patient with it through the corners. That’s not to say it’s a boring car, because it is pretty unique and still a good laugh on track.

But the RS/SS is lighter, and it shows. With much, much less power it wasn’t that much left behind by the 580-hp ZL1, which says a lot. That said, the cars do feel pretty similar, as much as two cars separated by almost half a century can. The RS/SS wins it because if what you really want is the old school muscle car experience, then going back to the original will feel that bit more authentic and pure.

The classic car wins this one, but not by a country mile!

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users