m26_sharp.jpg?1342810332

m26_rear.jpg?1342810331

Top Speed: 193 MPH
0-60: 3.5 Seconds
Horsepower: 485 @ 10600 RPM
Torque: 268 @ 7000 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: RWD

The McLaren M26 was largely based on its predecessor, the World Drivers' Championship- and World Constructors' Championship-winning M23. It made its race debut in the 1976 Dutch Grand Prix during James Hunt's title-winning season but wasn't used consistently until the 1977 season, by which time a nose redesign had improved its competitiveness. Designed by Gordon Coppuck to be lighter and more aerodynamically-efficient than the M23, the M26's 485-bhp Ford Cosworth DFV V8 engine powered Hunt to his first win of the 1977 season in his home Grand Prix at Silverstone. Thanks to a further two victories, in the United States and Japan, and two more podium finishes in Brazil and France, the car led the British team to a respectable third place in the 1977 World Constructors' Championship a position that could have been even better but for two costly retirements when Hunt was leading the field.

The M26 was updated for the 1978 season but proved unreliable as it strived to keep pace with the ground-breaking Lotus 79.

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the M26 in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 dimagico

dimagico

Crew Chief

• 570 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Well, after movie Rush starting... it would be appropriate to bring back this car for... maybee next SRO? ... with Zandvoort allready on scene this week, then only option to be authentic is Watkins Glen.. or Silverstone (used previous week!)

James Hunt - they don´t make guys like he anymore B)

#3 Danny Irving

Danny Irving

Seasoned

• Banned
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Do not update this car Marco, it's perfect.  :D

#4 mbindels

mbindels

Semi-Pro

• 140 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

This car has a soul. Really, it has.

Some people say it's goes home after a long day at the track so he can visit his wife.

SQ=816

#5 SRW_Marco

SRW_Marco

Seasoned

• Community Champion
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

That car is really good, but can be even better

#6 Danny Irving

Danny Irving

Seasoned

• Banned
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

No! Leave it be Marco, it's fine the way it is. :)

#7 mbindels

mbindels

Semi-Pro

• 140 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

If you ad more soul to it I wouldn't be bothered. But you would ruin the car if you turn it in to a ginger.

SQ=816

#8 Danny Irving

Danny Irving

Seasoned

• Banned
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

This is one of few recent updates i'm not happy with, you spoiled it, It understeers alot more than it did before.

Edit: Tried it on silverstone & it's bloody awful.

#9 Mastrorocco

Mastrorocco

Seasoned

• 65 posts
  • Facebook:Massimo Mastrorocco
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'd like have a Ferrari......... :)

#10 Bigbazz

Bigbazz

Seasoned

• 73 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

It does seem pretty understeery, I wasn't aware that it had been updated and didn't really notice it so It can't be all that different. This is still one of the better cars in the game, but It always was one of the more oversteering cars before.

At Silverstone the understeering is made worse by how easy it is to lock up the tyres under braking. At Watkins Glen however the car does not seem to understeer at all, so maybe it is a difference in setup, maybe just the nature of the tracks? Hmm.

#11 ingange

ingange

Crew Chief

• 504 posts
  • LocationMaribor

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

I did not try it before the update but it is the best car in game now .
Racing is what real men do while the boys play football .

http://addictedtospeed.enjin.com/ <--- Home Of Addicted To Speed

#12 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts
  • Facebook:Risto Kappet

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Another car without rear ARB? absolute pain to drive again, just as bad as furai, absolute no physical turn-in, only coming from torque. its depressing what direction SRW is taking... even arcade games like CARS or codemaster historic cars drive better. In high speeds its even worse, again rear wing is stacked like crazy. SRW designing game around 600SQ again

- Launger

#13 Danny Irving

Danny Irving

Seasoned

• Banned
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Wide tyres were used as a reason why this car understeers alot but... Mp4/4 drives perfect.. it has wide tyres but no understeer Why?.

strange :l 

#14 SRW_Marco

SRW_Marco

Seasoned

• Community Champion
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Wide tyres were used as a reason why this car understeers alot but... Mp4/4 drives perfect.. it has wide tyres but no understeer Why?.

strange :l 

Maybe 900hp vs 460? lol 

Enjoy guys, most of the understeer in M26 is due to default setup, so try it deeply before complaining

#15 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Yes no complaints about the car itself, it can be made to drive great. why dont you guys aswell then? that was my point. there are enough driving aids in the game to make a realisticly driving car drive bad for beginners if they want to. but if you make the setup itself already understeery and boring, then whats the point of driving aids at all?

The M26 @ watkins is 900-1100, why do you still provide understeer to such level?

- Launger

#16 j_smith

j_smith

Semi-Pro

• 159 posts
  • Facebook:Tsukki.Zakki
  • Twitter:Jezzay86
  • LocationCayman Islands

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

The following is merely a suggestion.

Personally I actually quite like the default setup of the M26, it suit's my particular driving style. However I know from experience that while one setup may work for me, it may not suit other drivers, so if a driver falls into this category i.e. either A. don't like the setup or B. cannot grasp how to control the car with all of it's understeer, and take advantage of it, All that I can suggest is to seriously spend some time in practice and dial the vehicle in to make the vehicle behave how You, "the driver" wants it to behave, Isn't this the purpose of a setup at its core to begin with?

If the setup is good, it builds confidence with the driver, and more confidence means that the driver can drive the car harder on the limit, faster, and ultimately, it would also be easier to drive.

You will need hundreds of laps to do this, and acute understanding on how the vehicle behaves.

The following below may help you. This is how I approach any new vehicle that i'm interested in making a setup for.

It is not an "ultimate" guide or anything, but this method works for me, and i'm freely sharing it out to you. Maybe it will help you understand the vehicle more.

Step 1. Get a pen and a notebook ready.

Step 2. Drive the default setup extensively, don't just drive one lap, drive 20, maybe 50 or more laps.

Step 3. Take the time to understand what your inputs do, relative to how the vehicle reacts.

Step 4. Drive the vehicle and write down in your book how the vehicle behaves in these three areas, Corner entry, Mid-Corner, and Corner Exit.

Step 5. Once you have experienced and identified the vehicles generals behaviour, go into setup and make one small change, and "write down the setup change you made" (IMPORTANT INFO: Do NOT change more than "One" value at a time. Otherwise you wont see what a single change did to the vehicle)

Step 6. Go back out on the track and drive the vehicle for several laps and note down how the vehicle behaves as described in step 4.

Step 7. Repeat Steps 5 through 6, untill you feel the vehicle behaves how you want it to behave.

You will also want to approach each circuit in the same manner, after you built your setup, don't be afraid to try the same setup on another ciruit, you may find that it works well, and you may also find that it doesn't, and if it doesn't, repeats steps 5 and 6 again for the new circuit.

While setting up a vehicle may seem very daunting at first, I can assure you, if you stick with it, it will pay off. I also find that making a setup might actually help you identify, or clearly define how the vehicle likes to behave. Not only that, it might actually help you improve yourself in the long run.

There are many handy guides out there that can tell you what each values do to the vehicle and what change is to be expected, I'm sure a simple google search can pull up plenty of guides. One guide that I use and would recommend would be the following: Setup Matrix

I hope this was informative and helpfull to you.

See you out there on the track!

And above all, have fun!

#17 Bigbazz

Bigbazz

Seasoned

• 73 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Maybe 900hp vs 460? lol 

Enjoy guys, most of the understeer in M26 is due to default setup, so try it deeply before complaining

MP4/4 900hp was the qualifying spec, it even sais on the website and ingame that the car is running 680bhp (race spec?). I think that Risto is being a bit overly loud about a few cars though, all I noticed was the car was slightly more understeery than it used to be, not some end of the world type of change.

Talking about setup, you had the M26 for the TDT event, generally for events you lock the setup on the car and provide your own so if the car is understeery in an event there is nothing people can do. I personally thought it was understeery at Silverstone while being very different at Watkins Glen, personally I thought the car felt great at Watkins Glen and had no issues at all.

Those were TDT events by the way.

#18 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

On a different note, would it be possible to not have the cockpit surround glass reflect the world if i have all my settings at lowest?

I have max 35fps in the cockpit while i have 70 from bumper cam. Just make it a tone glass that doesnt reflect anything if i have all settings at lowest.

- Launger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users