SharpView-1200-x-450.jpg?1350514639

Rear-1200-x-450.jpg?1350514635

Top Speed: 225 MPH
0-60: 2.9 Seconds
Horsepower: 680 @ 7800 RPM
Torque: 520 @ 4500 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: RWD

The manufacturer’s aim was to finally realize Bruce McLaren’s “M6 GT dream” of creating the ultimate road-going sports car. So in came the GTR-spec BMW-built 6.1-liter V12 and aerodynamic configuration and out went all the original F1’s home comforts. The resulting cars, three of which were fittingly bedecked in Bruce’s “papaya orange” colors, emerged much leaner and meaner. In fact, thanks to the absence of the GTR’s race-mandated air restrictors, the LM was actually capable of producing 80 bhp more than the track-bred champion and this, allied with its enforced diet, gave it a power-to-weight ratio of 631 bhp-per-ton and face-rearranging acceleration that could take its lucky driver from 0-60 mph in just 2.9 seconds.

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the F1 LM in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of our high-performance workhorse. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Bigbazz

Bigbazz

Seasoned

• 73 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

So I had a go of the Mclaren F1 LM today, first time I've driven it since the update (I've owned it since the day you released). I have 5 words to say about it

Understeer, Understeer, Understeer, Lock Brakes.

It really is an understeering dog of a car now, it locks up the brakes without any warning or indication (via the wheel or tyre sounds) and it's just a car that feels like it has been ruined. When the brakes lock you really only have one thing to tell you that they have locked and that is the fact that car isn't slowing down, so you have to tip toe around on the brakes hoping the thing will slow down with no feedback of any sort to try to drive the car, pure guessing work.

This was an animal of a car, it was a wild beast and it could be driven hard with a good driver but took a lot of skills to tame. Now it is a boring well behaved understeer machine that needs to be nagged to even hit an apex, that understeers well below it's capabilities. I loved how this car was before, it wasn't perfect but it captured the spirit of the car as we know it from real life reviews and drives, the new version is everything that the Mclaren F1 isn't. The real F1 LM isn't an understeering dog, it's a wild beast with a waggly tail and a tendancy to bite you in the ass. The real F1 was designed specifically to have the most connected and direct feeling brake pedal that you could have in a car, a pure interactive and connected driving experience where you could feel every communication of the car through the pedals, through the gearbox and the wheel.

I'm sorry Simraceway but this is yet another of your updated cars that completely contradicts the spirit of the car, an update that has made it worse. The Mclaren F1 LM in Simraceway is anything but a pure driving experience, and it makes me sad.

#3 Danny Irving

Danny Irving

Seasoned

• Banned
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

I never tried the F1 before the update so when it was available for a TDT i was excited to try it due to it being one of my favourite cars. I did roughly 5 laps on Silverstone & that was enough for me.

I imagined that it would be ferocious but i was wrong. I guess it's the Huge rear tires that made it understeer ;)

Some cars that have been updated feel good but some are just plain awful. SRW tries to emulate driving in a game by making it very difficult. we know that's not the case thank's to newly released sims. & videos of real racing on YT show this isn't the case too.

I really want to like all of the updates, some i like, some i hate.. you know the ones.. but you clarified it by saying the tyres were the cause of understeer.,

Coss told me not to be such a bastard in not exact words so i'm trying to be constructive & not bash (too much). I like what you're doing marco & i know the kind of response i'm going to get from you but please read Baz's replies,, he's one of the intelligent guys here. 

#4 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

So I had a go of the Mclaren F1 LM today, first time I've driven it since the update (I've owned it since the day you released). I have 5 words to say about it

Understeer, Understeer, Understeer, Lock Brakes.

It really is an understeering dog of a car now, it locks up the brakes without any warning or indication (via the wheel or tyre sounds) and it's just a car that feels like it has been ruined. When the brakes lock you really only have one thing to tell you that they have locked and that is the fact that car isn't slowing down, so you have to tip toe around on the brakes hoping the thing will slow down with no feedback of any sort to try to drive the car, pure guessing work.

This was an animal of a car, it was a wild beast and it could be driven hard with a good driver but took a lot of skills to tame. Now it is a boring well behaved understeer machine that needs to be nagged to even hit an apex, that understeers well below it's capabilities. I loved how this car was before, it wasn't perfect but it captured the spirit of the car as we know it from real life reviews and drives, the new version is everything that the Mclaren F1 isn't. The real F1 LM isn't an understeering dog, it's a wild beast with a waggly tail and a tendancy to bite you in the ass. The real F1 was designed specifically to have the most connected and direct feeling brake pedal that you could have in a car, a pure interactive and connected driving experience where you could feel every communication of the car through the pedals, through the gearbox and the wheel.

I'm sorry Simraceway but this is yet another of your updated cars that completely contradicts the spirit of the car, an update that has made it worse. The Mclaren F1 LM in Simraceway is anything but a pure driving experience, and it makes me sad.

I agree with these comments. I've never driven the real car, so I have no idea if the new car is more realistic or not, but I prefered the handling of the old one.

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#5 SRW_Marco

SRW_Marco

Seasoned

• Community Champion
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Do you really think guys that such kind of car, in that way setted up, with pretty good amount of downforce mostly biased on the rear axle and with a 345 width rear tires oversteer so easy? and that is so easy to slow it down without locking the front? 

The new F1LM indeed has way much less grip compared to the previous one and not that understeery if you drive it correctly, don't complain if a car dosn't fit your driving style try instead to change it to fit that ;)

#6 Bigbazz

Bigbazz

Seasoned

• 73 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

I do think the real F1 LM oversteers pretty easy, because the real car exists and there are many videos and interviews with people driving it and talking about it. I'm a massive Mclaren F1 fan, I've been reading every bit of information about this car since I was a child, when you originally released it I was the one who contacted you to correct the specs you had for it, that were wrong (and you did!).  I know exactly what to expect from the Mclaren F1 LM, and it isn't an understeering dog of a car with a sluggish response and no brake feel.

The issue is not that the brakes lock up easily, but that the brakes lockup without any indication or without any feedback to the driver, you can't even hear the tyres screeching. You realise that this is a road car (even though you list it as GT) and that it runs on street tyres, tyres that have to deal with 680Bhp and 520ft lbs of torque?  The real car is not a well behaved car, it is a scary monster and the Simraceway car does not reflect this at all. Below the limit it is exceptionally easy to drive in SRW, and driving it hard it simply understeers a lot and locks it's brakes up a lot.

Am I also supposed to believe that the MP4/4 is realistic because "It has big tyres?" which is an explanation I've heard as to why it's able to run laptimes comparable with 2010 era cars, even though the real thing was actually more like 10 seconds slower.   I've been one of your biggest supporters on the internet, but as a fan of your game I also have to be one of your biggest critics, these cars are the cars I grew up dreaming about and I want them to be right!

For reference, here is a video I made back in January with the old version of the car. The overall grip probably is too high, but the characteristics much more closely match up with the real thing.

As for checking up videos on youtube, it's hard to find good F1 LM footage, almost all of the cars being driven that are labelled as F1 LM are actually F1 GTR race cars that have been made road legal (most of them have been).

#7 SRW_Marco

SRW_Marco

Seasoned

• Community Champion
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

About mp44 is not just the width, i released that trying to do a super soft compound, thanks to your reference and critics, i will look into that.

About Mclaren F1, this is a feedback , not a critics, and i appreciate, i will check it out.

#8 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Do you really think guys that such kind of car, in that way setted up, with pretty good amount of downforce mostly biased on the rear axle and with a 345 width rear tires oversteer so easy? and that is so easy to slow it down without locking the front? 

The new F1LM indeed has way much less grip compared to the previous one and not that understeery if you drive it correctly, don't complain if a car dosn't fit your driving style try instead to change it to fit that ;)

When I said I agree, I didn't mean to include the brakes as I run low ABS on the F1 and don't really have a problem with them. But if you say the handling is more realistic now then I'm happy, even if it's not as easy to drive I would rather have the most realistic car we can get.

Like Cossacco has mentioned before, sim drivers tend to be harder on tyres than racing driver in real life because the driving style on a sim is different. I always try and adapt the the car I'm driving, which I'm happy to do as long as the car is close to the real thing.Some cars in the past have been a little tricky but now we have open brake bias it has made things a bit easier.

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#9 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review #34: 1995 McLaren F1 LM
06/30/2015

It’s easy to see why the McLaren F1 made such an impact on the automotive world and why it’s one of the most iconic cars ever made. 20 years ago, that car had around 600 hp for 1,000 kg, and a top speed of 231 mph. Two decades later, it’s hard to think of any car half as impressive.

Designed by Formula 1 guru Gordon Murray, it sported very advanced features, some of which were banned in motorsport: active aerodynamics,

fans sucking air from underneath the car, etc. It also proposed a new cockpit layout, allowing for three occupants while giving maximum visibility to the driver without compromising aerodynamics. Of course, it later went racing, and of course it was massively successful. It won Le Mans in 1995 against pure-blooded prototypes. So, when looking to build the ultimate iteration of the ultimate road car, McLaren took its inspiration from the racecar, giving a massive rear wing, magnesium wheel and no interior comfort to the stock F1. Amazingly, it was faster than the Le Mans winning car, because of the delete of air-restrictors that hampered the BMW V12. This truly ultimate car is the McLaren F1 LM.

If you’ve been reading my column for some time now, you’ll know how much I like to rant about this “race-car for the road” thing. I generally think it just makes the cars faster and harder to drive without fixing the normal road car issues: poor tires and brakes, and way too high gearing. The F1 LM doesn’t escape those issues. But it comes really close, and is perhaps the closest to a racecar a street legal vehicle can be this side of an Ariel Atom.

So yes it understeers, and doesn’t have the breaking power to go with its massive engine. Yes it can be annoying and frustrating at times. But it’s not all that bad. It’s way less of an issue than with something like the Zonda R, which isn’t even street legal. And the drive train isn’t any less amazing. The BMW-issued V12 doesn’t have the flamboyant howl of the Pagani, but it oozes character nonetheless. And, as is always the case with these big NA engines, the power delivery is very predictable, linear and usable. It’ll make the rear-end of the car wiggle exiting every corner, but the massive rear tires provide just enough grip to keep you on the road.

And unlike other fast road cars, it actually seems to enjoy being driven close to the limit, at least on corner exit. On entry, you have to be more careful, and load the front end so it turns but without blocking the wheels, which isn’t easy to do. But the car remains somewhat balanced, and driven at 90% of its limits, provides an enjoyable challenge. You’ll have to be seriously talented to go further than that without being frustrated by the front end. But on the way there, the car gives you plenty of feel and can get you to a nice flowing drive.

It’s not a nasty car, nor is it the sharpest of instruments. And I still can’t really see the point of driving a very fast road car, with all its limitations, on a race track. But the F1 LM is actually good fun to drive, fast and full of character. And I truly enjoy owning such a legend. I won’t drive it every day, but I’m sure I’ll come back to it regularly.

To find out how it did against all the other TDT cars, follow this link to the updated TDT Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

#10 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Simraceway’s Greatest Drives #1 : McLaren F1LM at CotA

If you read my first review of the F1LM, you’ll remember that while impressed by what it was trying to achieve, I was a bit underwhelmed by the end result, and most notably by the limitations that come with trying to make a hardcore track weapon into a road legal. My concerns were mainly about understeer created by road tires and poor braking performance.

Well, that was before I drove it calmly at CotA. You see, while I try to drive a car at multiple tracks to get a better feel for them before writing a review, I didn’t have time to run it there and did most of the testing at Laguna Seca. Turns out that Laguna Seca’s characteristics vastly amplified issues that were not really predominant in the car. The Circuit of the Americas, however, magnified everything that made the F1LM such a legendary car.
Starting with the power of the thing. The idea behind the F1LM was to take the concept of the sports car and push everything to its absolute limit, whatever the costs. Derived from the Le Mans winning GTR but without its restrictions, this monster of a car makes 680hp for around 1,000kgs, using what were at the time pretty alien techniques involving carbon fiber, Kevlar, magnesium and even gold for heat shielding. Needless to say that even if CotA’s main straight is long, it doesn’t take much time to go from end to end in that rocketship.

But what impressed me with this combo, is how responsive and involving it is. Some car are great to drive because they link you directly with the road, without interfering too much. That’s not the case with the McLaren; it even makes a point of letting you know that it will always be a wild beast, and that you have to fight for it and be at your absolute best to enjoy it.

Coming back to the understeer I noticed, because it’s actually a very good illustration of that. Coming into turn 6, my absolute favorite corner on this track, you have to very mindful of all the reactions of the car. But that’s ok, because the car gives you so much feedback it’s impossible to ignore. You come in the first part of the corner on throttle, because turn 5 is a bit slower. Take a first apex, but then the corner closes in a bit. So you lift off the throttle, and the magic happens. The front tires regain progressively their grip, the rears gently come around, and the car is suddenly going to the second, late apex. This, if nailed properly, will make you feel like a driving god. The understeer isn’t here to slow you down. It’s here to ensure you stay on the road when driving the car at nine-tenth, and that you have to work your way into the last and most rewarding drop of raw talent the F1LM has.

Coupled with this very challenging track, it’s an absolute blast. Sure, you’ll have to take it slowly for the couple first laps. But working your way up to full speed is incredibly gratifying. Seven or eight laps in, I was pushing as much as I dared, and I was beginning to feel the rear end become more alive, a combination of the rear tires wearing in and me getting nearer and nearer to their limit.
And of course, the fabulous BMW V12 is still here. Simply shorten the gear’s final ratio to get the most out of it, and you’ll be doing more than 300kph, at the end of the straight. There, you’ll discover that while not being as powerful as you’d wish them to be, the brakes are on par with the rest of the car: not scary to death, but you’ll have to be smart to make the most out of them.

This car is an ode to driving-just-because. Trust me on this. Turn off all the displays, set the track time to 6pm, fill the tank to the brim (man that thing is thirsty), and enjoy your next hour. This is what we love about driving.

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users