McLaren_MP4-28_2013_SharpView.jpg?136848

McLaren_MP4-28_2013_Rear.jpg?1368482370

Top Speed: 220 MPH
0-60: 1.6 Seconds
Horsepower: 780 @ 18000 RPM
Torque: 229 @ 17000 RPM
Transmission: 7 Speed Semi-Automatic
Drivetrain: RWD

The MP4-28 was introduced for the 2013 Formula One season as part of McLaren's fiftieth anniversary celebrations. It made its debut at the hands of Jenson Button and Sergio Perez at the Australian Grand Prix.

Despite the MP4-27's glittering end to the 2012 campaign, McLaren opted to begin a new development cycle for its 2013 challenge. In came a new pullrod front suspension system similar to that of the Ferrari F2012, while the rear suspension geometry was also reconfigured. The remodeling of the racer's sidepods was prioritized, in order to improve airflow over its hind quarters, and the prospect of an ugly 'stepped nose' was once more sidestepped with the aid of a 'vanity plate'.

One component retained by the MP4-28 was the Mercedes-Benz FO 108Z 2.4-liter V8 that had helped carry the McLaren team to third place in the Constructors' Championship in 2012. It was hoped the 2013 car would go one -- or even two -- better than that!

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the MP4-28 in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Setup used in Silverstone GP Quick Race is default, because the car was adjusted for it, but there are custom ones in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Quick Race and Circuit of the Americas Hot Lap. Please find them below:

https://www.dropbox....ndianapolis.svm

https://www.dropbox....enMP428CotA.svm (1 liter of fuel)

:) ​ 

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#3 Swir80PL

Swir80PL

Novice

• 42 posts
  • Twitter:swir80pl
  • LocationDublin

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

The one at COTA felt really good. Nice work on this car Simraceway. Thumbs up.

#4 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review: 2013 McLaren MP4-28

03/09/15

Despite having the fastest car on the grid in 2012, McLaren decided to completely rework their car for the 2013 season, stating that the MP4-27 had reached “the end of a development cycle”. A new suspension philosophy was adopted, front and rear, while the bodywork was transformed to follow the “high nose” trend, in order to feed the rear diffuser with more air.

Sadly, the rather catastrophic season (the worst in 33 years for McLaren) proved McLaren might have been a bit too innovative this time. The team even considered coming back to the 2012 car at some point.

That doesn’t mean it’s any less fun to drive though. In short, you can consider this car as a more behaved MP4-27, a car I did praise quite a lot last week.

If you read last week’s review, you’ll remember that I said that the MP4-27 was a bit of a handful on cold tires, and could prove rather hairy under heavy braking. Well, consider the ’28 free of these two points. It’s a lot more stable at the braking points, something you especially feel at COTA, and the car isn’t really that snappy with cold tires and brakes anymore.

The braking performance and usability is phenomenal. You can brake later than the laws of physics seem to allow, and keep your foot planted until you reach 3rd gear, at which point you’ll have to lift a bit to avoid natural lift-off oversteer. Decelerating this quickly, this brutally, really seems unreal and I have to say going through the gears at this rate is a massively enjoyable experience.

You’ll also remember that I said that the MP4-27 is my favorite V8-era F1 in Simraceway. So why this one, and not the MP4-28, which is more civilized and altogether easier to drive? Well, precisely because it’s more civilized.

The MP4-27 is, in my eyes, a more challenging, more involving car. The snappy cold tires mean that you really have to be focused on what you’re doing at the start of a race, and the more mobile rear-end means that you can’t take any liberties with it. The MP4-27 is a car that won’t give you any excuse. You spun? You did something wrong. That car is somewhat more transparent while being more characterful.

I’m not saying the MP4-28 is a bad car. It isn’t. The front-end is almost as godly as the MP4-27’s, and, as I said before, the braking is mind-shattering. There is also a touch more traction when exiting slow corners. But you just have that sensation that in really fast changes of direction (like in sector 1 of COTA), the nose is a tiny little bit reluctant to change course. It is very, very subtle, and the overall lateral grip probably matches the MP4-27’s. But it’s still here, and as a result, if I was to chose only one V8 F1 it’d still be the 2012 car. Let me put it this way: the 2013 MP4-28 is probably 2nd on my list of V8 F1s, with the extra intuitive MP4-25 a close third. It’s also worth remembering that the ‘28 is a Progression Ladder car, and so is cheaper than the ’27 and more likely to be featured in events

Having all that in mind, I would totally understand if you were to buy this one.

Here is the link to the Test Drive Tuesday Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users