SharpView-1200-x-450.jpg?1354057330

Rear-1200-x-450.jpg?1354057322

Top Speed: 181 MPH
0-60: 3.5 Seconds
Horsepower: 450 @ 8000 RPM
Torque: 430 @ 6000 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Sequential
Drivetrain: RWD

The last in the series of award-winning “Nagare” concept cars created by Mazda, the Furai debuted at the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It differed from its four predecessors in that its creators built it with function, as well as form, in mind—and within days of its unveiling it was showing exactly what that meant on the twists and turns of Laguna Seca. Wearing the number 55, twin numerals etched into Mazda folklore following the 787B's 1991 Le Mans victory, and sitting atop a race-bred Courage C65 LMP2 carbon-composite platform, it’s no surprise that the marque, with its rich racing heritage, hasn’t completely dismissed the chances of the Furai seeing competitive action one day.

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the Furai in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Deigima

Deigima

Pro

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  • Locationbyron bay, australia

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

this was a really great race, i was so pumped at the end of it!

My youtube playlist for SimRaceway
I like boxy cars.
300fps @ indianapolis :D

#3 Matrox

Matrox

Seasoned

• 85 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

after testing the update - is it ment to be that these front tires easily create tire tracks for no reason when it comes to understeer? I mean they should create tire tracks but not that easily i guess

#4 Deigima

Deigima

Pro

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  • Locationbyron bay, australia

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

after testing the update - is it ment to be that these front tires easily create tire tracks for no reason when it comes to understeer? I mean they should create tire tracks but not that easily i guess

not sure what you mean, but i have no complaints about the car, it was a blast to drive.

My youtube playlist for SimRaceway
I like boxy cars.
300fps @ indianapolis :D

#5 Rootsquash

Rootsquash

Novice

• 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

The Mazda Furai received an update in August 2013:

• New tire model
  • New aerodynamics
  • New engine specification
  • Improved weight
  • New overall setup
  • Draft effect

including these fixes:

• Suspension
  • Brakes

Source: http://community.sim...a-furai-update/

#6 the_sigman

the_sigman

Seasoned

• 93 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Real life :(

http://www.autoweek....RNEWS/130919979

#7 dimagico

dimagico

Crew Chief

• 570 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

allready a thread somewhere... -_-

#8 the_sigman

the_sigman

Seasoned

• 93 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

allready a thread somewhere... -_-

I wanted to have it on the car thread  <_<

#9 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

Well now that we have the Mazda Furai for a free test drive weekend, I thought I would add some trivia.

Did you know that the guy who designed the Mazda Furai also designed the Tesla Model S?  Franz von Holzhausen was responsible for the Nagare (Japanese for "flow") design language of the now previous generation of Mazdas before moving on to Tesla.  In previous jobs he was also involved in designing the New Beetle and the Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky.

#10 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review #28: 2008 Mazda Furai
06/02/2015

The Mazda Furai was the last and most notable concept representing the new “Nagare” design philosophy introduced by Mazda between 2006 and 2008. It’s also the only one that could be driven, as it was based on the then dominant Courage C65 LMP2, with a screaming three-rotor R20B Wankel engine at its heart. The Nagare design language is all about wind flowing through the cars and its movement, and many of the little waves and creases along the carbon-fiber bodywork hint towards the car’s name, which means “Sound of the Wind” in Japanese. Its LMP2 base led to many hopes to see the graceful Mazda race, but it was never to be. When reviewing the car, the Top Gear magazine crew witnessed to its destruction as it caught fire and burned completely. The one-off concept car was never rebuilt.

But the fact that it did run at the time means that we get to drive it in Simraceway.

I was a bit disappointed by its engine, if I’m honest. Having just driven the fire-breathing 787, I expected this rotary to hint at its glorious past. It doesn’t. There is not much torque, and I hoped for more than 460hp. This is mostly due to ACO LMP2 regulations of the time. Seeing how fast the Furai looks, it’s a bit of a letdown. That being said, it’s not that slow. Think GT500 cars in terms of pace.

Dynamically, it’s not really amazing either. Understeer dominates, but at least the car isn’t hard to drive at all. It’s got impressive traction, and perfect high speed stability. I suspect the understeer is due to tinkering with the Courage’s front aero.

All that being said, the Furai is not a bad car to drive. It’s easy, consistent and light. And when you force the rear to rotate, you can get it to point at an apex. In the end, it’d probably make a good feeder series for the faster prototypes.

I should have expected all of that. The car is an LMP2 underneath, not an LMP1 war machine. It’s all perfectly understandable that the Mazda isn’t blisteringly quick down the straights. I just wanted more from this stunning car. I think reshaping the car compromised a bit on downforce, and that’s what this car lacks, ultimately

You have to remember that the Mazda Furai is probably the best concept car to drive, ever. The sole fact that it has been designed with driving in mind is unique. And if it catches fire in Simraceway, you can always reset it.

To find out how it did against all the other TDT cars, follow this link to the TDT Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users