• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 michael85

michael85

Novice

• 10 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:35 AM

I know that there is plenty information on the matter all over the internet, but there couldn't be a SimRaceway forum without a thread like this.

I am about to buy myself a new wheel for the summer. The available options are:

i) Logitech Driving Force GT : 99€ (~130$)

ii) Logitech G27 : 289€ (~380$)

iii) Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSR Elite Pedals : 309€ (~410$)

iv) Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSR Pedals + CSR Shifter Set : 309€ (~410$)

Thrustmaster T500RS is over the budget since it costs 480€ (~630$).

I am planning to keep the wheel for at least 4 years, so it needs to be robust and reliable. Judging without actually trying them, the DFGT seems the best value for money wheel out there, since the only thing missing is the clutch pedal. Which of the above would you advise me to buy?

P.S.: Prices are valid for Greece only, so please do not refer to prices or discounts from your country. :)

#2 Mr.Kninja

Mr.Kninja

Novice

• 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

I have a DFP second gen, and seeing that the GT is an upgrade for my wheel, that would be a good option. Then the leftover money could be put to another use. I don't know much about the Fanatec wheels you posted, but I have a friend who has a CSR and if those are anything like that, it'll be a great choice. Then there's always the G27, which is supposed to be the best wheel out there. I've never tried one, but from what I've heard and seen it's a good wheel, some people say the G25 is a better value if you don't need the frills though.

Overall I'd go for the DFGT if you want to keep your cash, if you're fine with spending tons of money go for the Fanatec GT3 with pedals and shifter. :)

Logitech DFP (2nd gen) | SQ ~750 

#3 SRW_Nigel

SRW_Nigel

CSR

• 4 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

I agree with Mr.Kninja, 

I myself use the DFGT at the moment, and its a fine wheel for the price. Of course as everyone says, the pedals leave more to be desired, the total package for the price certainly gets the job done.

Nigel Butler
Simraceway Support
San Francisco, Ca

#4 Infinital (N. Greene)

Infinital (N. Greene)

Novice

• 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

I know that there is plenty information on the matter all over the internet, but there couldn't be a SimRaceway forum without a thread like this.

I am about to buy myself a new wheel for the summer. The available options are:

i) Logitech Driving Force GT : 99€ (~130$)

ii) Logitech G27 : 289€ (~380$)

iii) Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSR Elite Pedals : 309€ (~410$)

iv) Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSR Pedals + CSR Shifter Set : 309€ (~410$)

Thrustmaster T500RS is over the budget since it costs 480€ (~630$).

I am planning to keep the wheel for at least 4 years, so it needs to be robust and reliable. Judging without actually trying them, the DFGT seems the best value for money wheel out there, since the only thing missing is the clutch pedal. Which of the above would you advise me to buy?

P.S.: Prices are valid for Greece only, so please do not refer to prices or discounts from your country. :)

I'd consider waiting a little bit.  With Xbox One & PS4 coming out, there's got to be some new wheels coming out.  I think something I head watching the Forza5 interview at E3, that there is a new thrustmaster wheel for X1.

Sounds like some wheels won't be compatible with PS4/X1 (mainly X1 I think), but you might see a flurry of people selling their current wheels to get a new wheel for the new console.

I use a DFGT with G25 pedals.  The pedals were worth the $60 I paid for them.  However I'm wanting to upgrade, so I'm just waiting to find someone selling a G27 (just need wheel & shifter) for cheap because they want a newer wheel.

#5 LooseWheels

LooseWheels

Novice

• 27 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

If it's going to be your first wheel, then yes by all means the DFGT as it is the cheapest wheel that isn't utter crap.

If you want to have a shot at the really fast times then you're going to need at least the G27 as a lot of cars require a clutch and H shifter or at least good flappy pedals, you probably want to mod the pedals with a load sensor too.

Can't say much about Fanatec, the steering wheels and pedals look nice, but their H-shifter looks a bit wonky.

As for the next gen consoles, personally I wouldn't touch them with a 20 feet pole.

#6 Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley

Seasoned

• 81 posts
  • Facebook:moxley6969@hotmail.com

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

$ for $ ive been VERY happy with my G27 base, Its Held up for the past 2-3 year's flawlessly, S1 has been swapped for Stock wheel and a couple month's ago I Invested in some Fanatec CSP V2's. IMO the pedals have been my best investment so far. I would Personally suggest CSP's over a Load cell mod for the Stock Logi pedals.

3Dof Seat mover - 25:1 Motors - Pololu JRK - 575w PSU - Hall effect Pot
CSW Ekretz Mod - CSP V2 Mugen Mod - CSS - F1 Wheel - BMW Wheel - SRW-S1 ButtonBox
i7-4790K @ 4.0k - Z97 Hero II - H105 Cooler - 2X NVidia GTX670 4GB - Dominator Platinum 16GB - 850w Supernova - 840Evo SSD 250G - Cosmos II Case

#7 SRW_Joseph

SRW_Joseph

CSR

• 26 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hey Guys, 

Good thread!

I just did a review for RaceSimCentral on the G27, and after interviewing 4 guys, and from my own "do not go gentle" experience with my own G27, I have to say the durability and longevity of the G27 is pretty spectacular. One guy from iRacing has had his for 3 years:

--“I have used the G27 for as long as I have been with iRacing, so this June will mark 3 years with the service and the wheel. During that time, I estimate that I've turned half a million or more race and practice laps with the wheel.” -- Mark Montenieri

So for price/durability and the quality of the FFB you cannot go wrong with the G27.

Now that being said, I still feel the Fanatecs have a distinct advantage that many models will cross platform between Playstation, Xbox, and PC's. Hopefully that cross platform ability will carry over to Forza5 and GT6. If the current Fanatec wheels will be able to run those next gen console titles, then I think the Fanatecs have an distinct advantage over the other two, especially if you want to try those new titles.

(No official word from anyone on this yet, I do have my ears on and will post news as soon as I get something official.)

It's a tough choice you have here, but the good news is all of the wheels you posted above are top quality and perform well beyond expectations, so whichever you do finally decide on, you can feel confident you got a quality tool for the job.

Fast Laps,

Joseph Loewinsohn
Simraceway Support
San Francisco, California

#8 ingange

ingange

Crew Chief

• 504 posts
  • LocationMaribor

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

I had to switch from S1 back to my old Logi MOMO for some time now . And now i have read the manual how to set it up .  It works gooood . I missed FFB .  (Steelseries has lost my S1 an it doesn't look like am getting my wheel back soon )

Now am thinking about new wheel . Y am asking for facts from users . Am deciding between Driving force GT and G27.

Is G27 worth extra money and why ???

Am using wheel 1h a day .

Racing is what real men do while the boys play football .

http://addictedtospeed.enjin.com/ <--- Home Of Addicted To Speed

#9 elitespeedway

elitespeedway

Semi-Pro

• 140 posts
  • LocationPoole, UK

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

My personal opinion would be go with G27. I have been using mine for 2 years now and it's excellent.

Really well built

Plenty of options for upgrades

Lots of buttons

FFB is good and with adjustments in game can be improved

Comes with clutch pedal unlike DFGT (a must for faster starts)

Has LED shift lights (but don't work on SRW yet  :angry: )

G27 is best value for me and only cost me 1/3rd of the price of T500

You Win Some, You Lose Some, You Wreck Some

#10 fiCaks

fiCaks

Contributor

• 8 posts
  • LocationRiga

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Fanatec over G27: The FFB on Fanatec is dimmer, a bit less informative.

Still, it helps getting better lap times(for me). I suppose, it's due to lack of mechanical dead zone on both G25/G27.

My experience with Fanatec PorscheGT2 wheel:

Wheel - 250.

+50€ CS table clamp, cos original fixing is so shoddy that Chinese noname wheel manufacturers would hooray over "Deutsche Engineering"

Provided spacers for shifter pads are drilled in wrong angles, so, it's nearly impossible to screw them down to the pads on the wheel.

Alcantara wrapping seems to be stitched by drunken monkey and does not look very reliable/quality made

4 months of 15-20h/wheek use shifter pad breaks.

>3/4 month for RMA repair

>another months of similar usage - Alcantara wrap starts to come off the wheel(above mentioned stitching quality)

>+1week, repaired shifter pad breaks again (this time Fanatec CS are trying to convince me that it works like that by design)

(if any doubts - pm me for youtube links of problem videos)

Summary: if you buy Fanatec, don't expect it last for more than 1/2 year. After that you'll be in constant disputes with their RMA CS.

A side note: my G25 worked flawlessly for 4 years till I bought G27. Used G27 for 2 years till my dream of buying Fanatec came through. Unfortunately the dream turned into nightmare. (both G25/G27 are still in working condition)

#11 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

I have a DFGT, it's very nice, but then I have limited experience as my only other wheel (also a Logitech) survived about 13yrs of use at an average rate very probably greater than 1hr/day (which was always a lot to me :) ). I only got rid of it because it wouldn't work with Win 7.

With the DFGT I was instantly faster (so that pleased me) and I like the stick-shift option, but frustratingly the older wheel (no idea what model it was) had much better pedals, by which I mean they were far more comfortable to use, and bigger gear-shift paddles.

#12 freggel

freggel

Seasoned

• 93 posts
  • LocationKatwijk, The Netherlands

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Fanatec over G27: The FFB on Fanatec is dimmer, a bit less informative.

Still, it helps getting better lap times(for me). I suppose, it's due to lack of mechanical dead zone on both G25/G27.

My experience with Fanatec PorscheGT2 wheel:

Wheel - 250.

+50€ CS table clamp, cos original fixing is so shoddy that Chinese noname wheel manufacturers would hooray over "Deutsche Engineering"

Provided spacers for shifter pads are drilled in wrong angles, so, it's nearly impossible to screw them down to the pads on the wheel.

Alcantara wrapping seems to be stitched by drunken monkey and does not look very reliable/quality made

4 months of 15-20h/wheek use shifter pad breaks.

>3/4 month for RMA repair

>another months of similar usage - Alcantara wrap starts to come off the wheel(above mentioned stitching quality)

>+1week, repaired shifter pad breaks again (this time Fanatec CS are trying to convince me that it works like that by design)

(if any doubts - pm me for youtube links of problem videos)

Summary: if you buy Fanatec, don't expect it last for more than 1/2 year. After that you'll be in constant disputes with their RMA CS.

A side note: my G25 worked flawlessly for 4 years till I bought G27. Used G27 for 2 years till my dream of buying Fanatec came through. Unfortunately the dream turned into nightmare. (both G25/G27 are still in working condition)

I got my Fanatec for 10 months now and I'm still as happy as the first day I got it. In my case it's the Porsche GT3 RS V2.

About some things that you mentioned:

- table clamp: I didn't buy the extra table clamp because though the original fixing is a pain in the *** to clamp onto the table, once it is on it is rock solid.

- shifter pads: again, the spacers are a pain in the *** to screw on because of the shape, but it works. I really like the big metal shifter pads and they work perfect.

- alcantara: no problems here either, you can see the stitching on the inside of the wheel, but the overall quality is good. After 10 months of intensive use (10-15 hours a week) you can only feel that the fabric is more rough on the places I put my hands.

#13 YardStick

YardStick

Seasoned

• 98 posts
  • LocationTampere Finland

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

I have DFGT.
I found it from the fleamarket for under 20€. (Sometimes it's worth to wait for 2nd hand bargains.) I have no idea what's happened to it in it's previous life, but you can tell it's been handled a lot. I've had it about a year and I've not been gentle to it. I stomp on the pedals and I manage to rip the wheel off the table nearly every time I drive. There's no way to clamp it on good enough. Only welding would do. It's the enormous G-forces you know. :P

I can tell wheelbase and pedals have been opened, cleaned and greased at least once before, and I've done that once myself.

The pedals suck. Deeply. And that's no news. I'm looking for a replacement for them. Currently I have a half cut squash ball showed under the brake pedal to make it more realistic, and it's slowly taking it's toll. The pedal's aren't gonna last forever like this. I can feel the plastic giving in during hard brakings. 

The wheel it self is keepers tho. I'm gonna hang on to it as long as it holds together. Paddles are odd, but I have long fingers. :) and then there's this product I plan to buy: http://goo.gl/qOQ4LD

I'm sure any Fanatec set beats DFGT Hand's down, so if you have the money. Go for it. If youre looking for a cheaper solution it's DFGT.

edit: Typos, bad school english. Forgive me.

"Drive these cars like you drink your coffee! Always with a smile, even if it's too hot at first and you burn your lips. It will taste great after a while!" - Tiptoe -
My YouTube Stuff -- Like! Comment! Subscribe! <-- Shameless request.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: logitech, fanatec, thrustmaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users