SharpView-1200-x-450.jpg

Rear-1200-x-450.jpg

Top Speed: 225 MPH
0-60: 2.8 Seconds
Horsepower: 540 @ 4600 RPM
Torque: 620 @ 3900 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Sequential
Drivetrain: RWD

The R18 TDI succeeded the R15 TDI as Audi’s Le Mans Prototype weapon-of-choice in 2010/11. It represented the first coupe design since the manufacturer’s failed experiment with the R8C over a decade before, in a move prompted by new laws that slowed down pit stop times and negated the main advantage of an open cockpit. It was also new regulations that necessitated the R18’s prominent stabilization fin and smaller engine -- the 540 bhp produced by its 3.7-liter single-turbo V6 represented a 10% reduction compared to the output of its predecessor’s 5.5-liter twin-turbo V10. Other changes included an ultra-lightweight design, improved fuel-efficiency, an electronically-controlled gearbox, and its single-piece carbon monocoque that imbued the car with extra rigidity. Despite these changes -- some enforced by regulation, others inspired by evolution -- the one thing that remained constant was Audi’s domination of endurance racing. After a creditable third-place finish on its debut at the 2010 1000km of Spa, the R18 TDI then notched two impressive victories at the 2011 24 Hours of Le Mans and at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2012.

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the R18 in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine.

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Crazy Buzzy

Crazy Buzzy

Semi-Pro

• 120 posts
  • LocationPula,Croatia

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Guys pls take a look at this vid and check the sound of this incredible machine,its like a jet with 4 wheels  :o

Enjoy  B)

#3 reynaldo123

reynaldo123

Pro

• 357 posts
  • Facebook:Reynaldo Stufano
  • Twitter:@reynaldoschumi
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

And is possible the 2013/14 version????
Don't wanna close my eyes   I don't wanna fall asleep  
'Cause I'd miss you, baby   And I don't wanna miss a thing!!!!

#4 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

And is possible the 2013/14 version????

There has been this video http://vimeo.com/44007948# of the R18 E-Tron around for over a year and it hasn't turned up yet, so I wouldn't expect a 2013/14 version any time soon.

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#5 ingange

ingange

Crew Chief

• 504 posts
  • LocationMaribor

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

The sound of the car in the video realy does not sound like TDI , and i drive one ! ;) I wish the car in game vould make the same noise .
Racing is what real men do while the boys play football .

http://addictedtospeed.enjin.com/ <--- Home Of Addicted To Speed

#6 Crazy Buzzy

Crazy Buzzy

Semi-Pro

• 120 posts
  • LocationPula,Croatia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

The sound of the car in the video realy does not sound like TDI , and i drive one ! ;) I wish the car in game vould make the same noise .

You own an R18 or an Audi TDI?  :blink:

Guys try to understand that the R18 has an gearbox made entire of carbon fiber and the sound you hear is in fact the sound of the gearbox  B)

#7 ingange

ingange

Crew Chief

• 504 posts
  • LocationMaribor

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

No i drive a car whith TDI engine . It was ment like a joke . R 18 has incredibile sound .
Racing is what real men do while the boys play football .

http://addictedtospeed.enjin.com/ <--- Home Of Addicted To Speed

#8 Crazy Buzzy

Crazy Buzzy

Semi-Pro

• 120 posts
  • LocationPula,Croatia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

No i drive a car whith TDI engine . It was ment like a joke . R 18 has incredibile sound .

I think SRW did a good job whit the sound of the engine in game,but the sound of the gearbox is missing from the game  :unsure:

If someone of the SRW stuff read this comment please can someone tell us if the sound of the gearbox is implanted in game or is missing?  :o

I mean not the sound of the gearbox when you change gear,I mean the sound that make the gearbox when you just drive the car,the real sound is amazing if you ask me,that sound is the only thing that make me happy when I think that car run on diesel :P

#9 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review: 2011 Audi R18 TDI
05/05/2015

As an answer to a change in regulations that nullified the advantages of open-cockpit prototypes at Le Mans, Audi replaced its R15 TDI with the R18 TDI, which is still used in 2015, though heavily reworked.

The 2011 car had a 3.7L turbo-diesel V6 engine, which while making slightly less power than the diesel V10 it replaced was also lighter and had a reduced consumption. The R18 was built out of a single piece of carbon fiber, as opposed to two-pieces constructions of its adversaries, in order to improve on weight and stiffness. It also had taller and wider front tires, which improved the front-end grip but also reduced the visibility, leading to spectacular crashes at Le Mans.

And it’s the first thing you notice when you climb in the R18. While seeing straight forward isn’t that problematic, it is very difficult to see the apexes and even more so to have an idea of where your opponents are. Which can cause some trouble at the start.

Having accustomed myself to this claustrophobic environment, I found the R18 to be a very strange but fascinating car to drive.

First of all, driving a racing car with a diesel engine is disturbing. It barely makes any noise, is filled with torque but you have to shift at 5 000 rpm. The lack of noise makes for a strangely calm experience, which contrasts heavily with the speeds achieved. The R18 feels like a dead-silent war machine. Having witnessed these diesel prototypes racing at Le Mans, and now having driven one in Simraceway, I can confirm that this is absolutely awesome.

That feeling of weird inner peace continues as you drive. The rear-end is very snappy under braking, so you have to brake early and then slowly let go of the brakes until the car reaches the apex. There isn’t that much feedback from the front tires, either. You have to be patient with it, and wait until you are after the apex; there, the true magic of the R18 happens. It has so much downforce and traction that the speeds achieved exiting the corners are truly mind-blowing. I was actually surprised that it didn't get closer to the F1s at Watkins Glen, but this probably has more to do with power-to-weight ratio than downforce.

This forces you to adopt a very relaxed driving style, which I think is an interesting challenge, though some people will probably hate it. You have to let the car do its thing. In one word, it feels very efficient. I had some trouble adapting to this, but once I did it was a really fun experience. I felt like I was spaceship pilot!

So no, it isn’t the most involving, breathtaking ride of Simraceway. But it undoubtedly is a captivating one. And having this spaceship in your garage is definitely a very cool thing.

Here is the link to the Test drive Tuesday Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users