SharpView-1200-x-450.jpg?1359417995

Rear-1200-x-450.jpg?1359417983

Top Speed: 135 MPH
0-60: 8.8 Seconds
Horsepower: 212 @ 5800 RPM
Torque: 203 @ 4600 RPM
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: RWD

The groundbreaking 300SL coupe was based on the Le Mans-winning racer of the same name. It shared the low-weight, low-drag philosophies of its track-bred brother but it trumped it in one important area: power.

At a time when Europe was still recovering from World War II, Mercedes-Benz' 'race car for the street' was introduced at the 1954 New York Auto Show and squarely aimed at affluent post-war America. Sculpted from steel and aluminum, the 300SL boasted precise steering and four-wheel independent suspension -- both impressive feats of engineering for the time -- as well as its distinctive 'gullwing' doors. Few realize, however, that these were a necessity rather than a fashion statement, their presence a result of the upward encroachment of the car’s lightweight tubular chassis frame.

It was this attention-to-detail, allied with the 300SL’s 212-bhp, 3.0-liter direct-injection straight-six that spawned the fastest production car of its time. A coupe that could accelerate to 60 mph in under nine seconds and reach a top speed of almost 140 mph.

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the Gullwing in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Swir80PL

Swir80PL

Novice

• 42 posts
  • Twitter:swir80pl
  • LocationDublin

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

#3 Cote_Dazur

Cote_Dazur

Novice

• 33 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

A very good car in the game, being a Mercedes fanboy I was going to buy it, but with the present asking price, I will not.

I understand the price structure but in this case it makes little sense, really cannot justify it. :(

A better way with older model might be price it based on the original price but updated to todays equivalent, so it would still be expensive but not ridiculously. it would give an actual value of $95,000, based on $11,000 in 1955. So .95 in Game value, I would buy that.

Even if taking the highest possible value, from the below linked calculator, $416,000, I would still buy it.

http://www.measuring....com/uscompare/

I hope that SRW is happy with the 300SL revenue, but regrets I cannot justify the price tag.

#4 aporcalipse

aporcalipse

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Great car, didn't like that much the riding but is an amazing car, I think srw should have a garage option to see the cars, this is definitely a car to show off, not so much to race :D

#5 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review #25: 1955 Mercedes 300SL

05/12/2015

The Mercedes 300SL is certainly one of the most iconic cars in history. And this is fully justified. The road-going 300SL was based on a highly successful racecar sporting the same name, and adopted ground-breaking solutions: a lightweight tubular chassis, fuel injection, and of course those instantly recognizable “Gullwing” doors.

It was incredibly fast at the time and inbelievablye expensive, making it the first real hypercar. Think about it: when it was launched, the Porsche 911 didn’t exist, and Joseph Stalin just died one year before. Mercedes was at the height of its motorsport domination, and it certainly showed in the 300SL: at less than 2,500 lbs and more than 220 hp, this is a car that could still teach a valuable lesson to most modern hot hatches.

But it’s not because it can behave like this younger crowd that you should: the 300SL is a car that clearly wants to be treated like the lady that it is. The magnificent cabin makes you dream of well past times, when roads didn’t have a speed limit and the man didn’t set foot on the Moon. Drum brakes and thin tires won’t bring you back to modern times. That doesn’t mean it’s not a cool thing to drive though.

Firstly, it’s very light by modern standards, and the chassis is well balanced. While the suspension remains too supple to be properly at ease on a race track, you can feel the low center of gravity and the integrity of the car through demanding corners. And the slim tires are very happy to help you going sideways, helped by a then Le Mans-worthy engine.

Yes, brakes are pretty much helpless, as is the looong gearbox. And it’s not the most precise car either. But there is something about this car that just sends you daydreaming, and cruising around the track on a spirited drive. Maybe it’s just nostalgia, or too much respect. But I can’t help but think about how well sorted the car is, how fascinating it is to play with its limits, to balance it well past the limit of adhesion of its tires. It is a very subtle and distinguished car, the 300SL. And it certainly is a great honor to drive this iconic car, so much ahead of its time, a machine that started something that is nowadays continued by cars like the McLaren P1.

I would be happy to just look at it for hours, and be amazed by all of its tiniest details. And so I’m delighted to see that the Mercedes 300SL isn’t a case of “don’t meet your heroes”.

To find out how it did against all the other TDT cars, follow this link to the TDT Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users