gt_40_sharp.jpg?1342809561

gt_40_rear.jpg?1342809561

Top Speed: 191 MPH
0-60: 2.9 Seconds
Horsepower: 500 @ 6500 RPM
Torque: 424 @ 5500 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Sequential
Drivetrain: RWD

The Ford GT-R is a GT2 racing variant of the Ford GT, which was first produced in 2003 in honor of the iconic Ford GT40 that had triumphed in four consecutive 24 Hours of Le Mans events in the 1960s. Created by Ohio-based Doran Enterprises in 2008, the GT-R’s raison d’être also mimicked that of its flower-powered predecessor: to end the track domination of grand European marques like Ferrari and Porsche. Sporting a Roush Yates-prepared naturally-aspirated 5.0-liter V8, an EMCO six-speed racing transmission, a modified all-aluminum chassis, new suspension geometry and a slightly remodeled carbon-fiber body, the GT-R made its competitive debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring in the 2008 American Le Mans Series. Despite the restrictions placed on GT2 cars that reduced the GT-R’s output to below that of its 550-bhp road-going sibling, it followed up its promising ALMS appearances with a third-in-class finish at the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011 -- a feat that its creators hoped would eventually lead to yet more GT40 mimicry on the famous French track.

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the GT-R GT2 in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Great car, but I don't get the misty windows, they're are not realistic and make the view from the cockpit dull.

Compare this to the nice bright view from the same car you get in iRacing  (not the video screenshot as this is overbright, the actually video). 

1E16FE6F1C0249FD9ABBC657B62987AE.jpg

11986118CE204C5F9E4863111EAE5C9F.jpg

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#3 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Car setup used in the Quick Race at Indianapolis Speedway can be found here: 2012FordGTRGT2Indianapolis.svm (Dropbox)

The major differences from default are lowered wings and extended gear ratios.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#4 Frendor

Frendor

Contributor

• 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Lovely car, feels well balanced and exciting to drive like the Mazda 787 or the Zonda R.

Another nicely modeled car.

However, I find the trees a big distraction! much like the lighthouse was on the Bentley.

Frendor.

#5 DevonK

DevonK

Seasoned

• 75 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Truly great sounding engine, one of the best I have heard in any simulation.

The handling has major issues though, primarily the power oversteer which is overdone on the default setup. I see someone at SRW figured out this was a problem with the physics model for the car since the default settings are so extremely tuned to try and minimize this – full hard front rollbar, full soft bar at back, and hard front slow compression with soft rear slow rebound. But it’s not enough, I had to up the power differential lock, soften rear springs, and reduce front toe-in to make it driveable. Fix needed so that correct setup values are not at the extremes in the suspension settings.

#6 Swir80PL

Swir80PL

Novice

• 42 posts
  • Twitter:swir80pl
  • LocationDublin

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

It was drivable to me on default setup. Was a bit tricky at the beginning but easily manageable. Video from Simraceway ;)

#7 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Great car, but I don't get the misty windows, they're are not realistic and make the view from the cockpit dull.

Compare this to the nice bright view from the same car you get in iRacing  (not the video screenshot as this is overbright, the actually video). 

1E16FE6F1C0249FD9ABBC657B62987AE.jpg

11986118CE204C5F9E4863111EAE5C9F.jpg

That is now fixed!  :)

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#8 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

That is now fixed!  :)

Great, well done guys! can't wait to try it.

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#9 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review: 2010 Ford GT-R GT2

03/25/2015

When in 2005 Ford unveiled the GT, homage to the legendary GT40, many were wondering if this car was also to replicate the racing achievements of its ancestor. Sadly, Ford never funded an official racing campaign for the supercar. But that didn’t stop privateers from doing it anyway.

In 2010, Ohio-based Duran Enterprises adapted a car to the GT2 regulations, with hopes to pursue the quest of the original GT40 to fight European manufacturers in the biggest endurance race in the world, the 24 hours of Le Mans.

Heavily modified, the GT sported various aero modifications, aluminum chassis and carbon-fibre body, and was propelled by a 5.0-liter V8 developed by Roush Yates.

And the first thing that strikes you when you take it to the track is that engine. It is, without a doubt, one of Simraceway’s best sounding engine. It would win over any petrolhead in a heartbeat.

But this car doesn’t revolve solely around that engine. The GT-R feels light and direct, though maybe not as much as a GT3 would, which is I think mostly due to the regulations in place. It’s also worth remembering that this car was designed to win in one of the fastest tracks in the world, the Le Mans circuit. And as such, it’s only natural that its handling would be slightly angled toward stability at high speeds.

But be assured: it’s nothing like the GT40. The rear-end moves around constantly, and it will rotate easily under braking. It might be a bit too much to some, but I for one quite like it. It’s actually controllable if you know how to use the throttle to balance the car on its edge, even if braking for Turn 1 at Daytona RC can be quite the adventure. Again, this can be seen as a dangerous habit to some, especially if you like a stable corner-entry. But, and everyone will be pleased about that, the brakes in themselves are immense. Powerful and usable, it’s one of the high points of the car.

Mid-corner, the nose can feel a bit numb, and a hint of understeer can appear. But it’s nothing serious, and anyway, the best is yet to come.

Because if you get the entry right, keep the back under control and use it to counter the mid corner (relative) hesitation, you can then put all of the 500 hp to the ground and thunder away with only a minor movement from the rear. Getting that Holy Trinity right is key to enjoying all of the car’s potential, of which there’s much more than I expected.

Sure, it won’t beat a more nimble GT3 at Brands Hatch, but even at this tight and demanding track it’s still a joy to drive. Yes, it can be bit too loose, and even hairy for some. Yes, it will overheat its tires in no time, which can lead to some problems in long corners. And no, it’s not the last word in GT, and can feel a bit unsophisticated compared to something like the Audi R8 LMS. But the GT-R GT2 oozes character, and although I need some more track time with them to be perfectly sure, to date I’d have no other GT2s over the Ford. I’d never give up THAT sound, anyway…

Here is the link to the Test Drive Tuesday Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users