35 replies to this topic

#1 3 TheIntimidator

3 TheIntimidator

Novice

• 14 posts
  • LocationBristol,Virginia USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

NASCAR Good,Bad or Indifferent?

As someone who has worked and raced in the racing industry ,I am now happily watching from the outside. I have seen the many faces NASCAR has changed over the past 20 years. The days of "race on Sunday, buy on Monday" may be gone, but does that mean the rivalry of racing, the pride of racing your weekend badge have gone also? I'll admit it, Pontiac was my choice, luckily Bobby Labonte gave us fans one last Cup victory in 2000, ever since, the sport has taken a wicked ugly swing. I am curious about your thoughts. 

earnhardt3.jpg

"Finishing races is important, but racing is more important."
Dale Earnhardt

#2 j_smith

j_smith

Semi-Pro

• 159 posts
  • Facebook:Tsukki.Zakki
  • Twitter:Jezzay86
  • LocationCayman Islands

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'll be honest, I've always disliked NASCAR... While I respect the sport... it has never appealed to me.

#3 Mr.Kninja

Mr.Kninja

Novice

• 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

I am in love with NASCAR, mostly due to my father. I severely disagree with anyone who says it doesn't take skill to race stock cars, at the same time I respect their opinion.

So I'm definitely gonna vote "Good". :) 

Logitech DFP (2nd gen) | SQ ~750 

#4 Ageos27

Ageos27

Novice

• 32 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

I've been around NASCAR my whole life. I absolutely love it. I try not to miss a race, and when I do, I DVR them all, so I'm covered.

#5 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

It's one of my favourite motorsports. I've been to Daytona Speedweeks for the last 6 years.

14073FE899B1461896A718463DAB9D2E.jpg

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#6 nascar88fan

nascar88fan

Novice

• 40 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex, UK

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Never miss a race, but I must admit the car of tomorrow & gen 6 cup cars are not as good as the cars of the 90s and early 2000 especially on the super speedways

#7 Mr.Kninja

Mr.Kninja

Novice

• 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

That's where I have to disagree, the racing is as great as it's been in years with the introduction of the Gen 6 car. They break records every week, and continue to grow the car towards being the greatest NASCAR-developed car we've had.

Logitech DFP (2nd gen) | SQ ~750 

#8 DavidHinshaw

DavidHinshaw

Semi-Pro

• 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Huge nascar fan as I live in the heart of Nascar. Been around the sport and the people for almost 20years. I will say that the racing may be the best I have seen since the early 90's since the new car has come out. On a side note INDY car racing is has also stepped up their cars and is really good right now. To me the only one that has slid down is F1 there is no drama left in it, hopefully their new car will change that next year. Also, Hey SRW think we need a stock car.

#9 Ageos27

Ageos27

Novice

• 32 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Also, Hey SRW think we need a stock car.

If I'm correct, they are working on implementing an ARCA stock car.

#10 Boneychuck

Boneychuck

Contributor

• 1 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

I've been watching NASCAR for 16 years now and the racing is as great as its ever been. Only dark spot in my opinion is when NASCAR decided to put a wing instead of a spoiler on the gen 5 cars. Go Smoke!

#11 JohnnyD

JohnnyD

Contributor

• 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

I've been into stock car racing since I was a little kid in the 1950s.  Been to countless short tracks all over the continent and seen just about everything they run on them, from street junk up to Super Modifieds, on pavement and dirt.  I raced on both road courses and ovals, primarily road courses but I enjoyed the ovals more, just a lot more fun racing in close proximity with a bunch of cars.  

I follow Nascar but I am not a fan of Nascar as a sanctioning body.  I think they can and do shape outcomes.  They are all about hype and not so much about the racing.  I don't totally agree that this year's racing has been better, in fact the first series of races, especially on the cookie cutters, were processional and pretty boring.  Daytona was essentially a 5 lap race, that's hardly exciting.  The last few races have been better and I do like the looks of the Gen6 cars better than the COT.  I hope SRW comes out with more modern stock cars and more ovals soon.  I'm guessing they have licencing issues with Nascar but Arca has in past been more inclined to deal with sim developers so I can see them going that way.

#12 Allan Equality Wu

Allan Equality Wu

Novice

• 35 posts
  • Facebook:allanw5@live.com
  • LocationGravesend - Brooklyn, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

One of my first pinball games = NASCAR 98 pinball by sierra lol

Profiled Bobby Labonte, Terry , Bill Elliott and Dale Sr

Got a fairly fun year so far - rivalries started and ended before it got really bitter + painful

Tons of winners - Who Knew Jimmie Johnson didn't win for several years at Pocono until today

I got a fantasy team on ESPN with Kyle Busch as anchor

Indeed, can't wait until SRW gets a contract to do NASCAR HomeTracks / ARCA * - this is a big opportunity for them to market to a fairly huge crowd who wants to get in on the game

No favorite NASCAR venue b/c I live in NASCAR wasteland - New York - A story that barely made headline in Staten Island, they wanted to build a intermediate-short oval in Staten Island until it was declared Not In My Back Yard.

Edited by Allan Equality Wu, 09 June 2013 - 09:54 PM.

For Wheldon!
-AllanW5  Alum , Rutgers '11 , Brooklyn Technical '06  SkillQuant : 79X  Race To Weekend Appearances=2

No Accidents in last  4 days    4 seconds

#13 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Never miss a race, but I must admit the car of tomorrow & gen 6 cup cars are not as good as the cars of the 90s and early 2000 especially on the super speedways

Be careful saying that, NASCAR might fine you  ;)

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#14 Allan Equality Wu

Allan Equality Wu

Novice

• 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Follow up to Nascar88fan

Jeff Gordon now complaining that on road course, the car is awkward when turning right. No fine for him *yet

Also --- thoughts?
http://jalopnik.com/...dium=socialflow

Definitely agree Danica is not bringing much to table other than eyeballs - But don't forget Jimmie Johnson and Jamie McMurray didn't get as much hype from top finishes in Nationwide until they got to Cup (and won many races including da 500)

Conversely Harvick is on his way out of Childress without a Cup , Joey Logano never found too* much success quite yet and he was on a tear in nationwide....

Now, Will Danica take advantage of this 'naysayer' attitude Kyle Petty's got and turn it around before Kevin Harvick joins Stewart-Haas

For Wheldon!
-AllanW5  Alum , Rutgers '11 , Brooklyn Technical '06  SkillQuant : 79X  Race To Weekend Appearances=2

#15 Andrea Brozzi

Andrea Brozzi

Seasoned

• 68 posts
  • Facebook:BROZ13
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I don't like so much NASCAR, but NASCAR's cars are AWESOME! I mean, even if NASCAR's circuits have only "one" turn, the cars are incredible :D

SImraceway nick : BROZ13 

A.k.a "The one that can't turn correctly"

#16 Allan Equality Wu

Allan Equality Wu

Novice

• 35 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

Absolutely they are- Obviously the right thing to do was to take liberties with the current laser-scan technology

And to just make good looking shells of the street version Chevy , Camrys and Fords -- and you can lure in the fans

Well other than Danica Patrick coming to cup, the cars have been this year's story.

For Wheldon!

#17 Allan Equality Wu

Allan Equality Wu

Novice

• 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

ONE OF MY FAVORITE RACES ON THE SCHEDULE - COMING UP--- IN MINUTES COKE ZERO 400

And I'm going to give this a shot once again....

My On Again Off Again Live Blogging --- just to cover the race (or try to) in a different way

Toyotas and Chevy to lead the field  http://www.jayski.co...alifying-Lineup

And, Be Relieved To Know - Kevin James AND Adam Sandler came . Here comes another ridiculous Fire Engine Command

UPDATE
Race starting 7:45 EASTERN US Time 

That would make it 4:45 SIMRACEWAY Campus Pacific Time --- and 11:45 UTC

UPDATE 2 : CARS NOW ROLLING AND GETTING SET , FOR THE TRADITIONAL ROLLING START

For Wheldon!

#18 Allan Equality Wu

Allan Equality Wu

Novice

• 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

WE HAZ GREENFLAG   AND NO CHANCE OF RAIN ! WOW ! lolz

TNT 's Ralph Sheheen reporting Dale Jr [88] is having an awkward feeling with the right front* tire. 

Leading us down to start this 400 mile affair [18 ] Camry of Kyle Busch + Joe Gibbs 

INTENSE 3 wide action

Probably the prettiest sight in all sport - AND [18] falling backwards AND Back forward- this should be typical.

They're 3 wide AS FAR BACK as 4 football fields

[88]  Issue --  NOT A CONCERN As of Lap 4
[29] Being conservative - Harvick / Childress car really laying back

Lap 7 The count is 3 Wide for 6 rows ! Tony Stewart [14] Dale Jr [88] and many usual suspects, choosing to stay back too - always interesting strategy in case hell breaks loose

Bobby Labonte [47] Mr. Musical Chairs in 31st --- Good man hope he gets a big finish.

Lap 10 / 25 MILES

[22] Joe Logano is the big mover up from the middle of the grid to Top 5, along with [21] Trevor Bayne
[10] DANICA Watch - 18th right behind this big 3 wide scrum
[78] THE OUTLAW Watch - Kurt Busch in 6th trying to share the lead

FROM MY EXPERIENCE ITS CUSTOM TO ANTICIPATE GREENFLAG STOPS , EVERY 65+ MILES IN

NASCAR IS HARD - [98] Michael McDowell - Parsons entry already OFF Track at lap 6

LAP 20 / 50 MILE time : About 15 Minutes
THE FIELD NOW MERGES BACK into , for the most part, Single file.

LULL in the action  as Many would say. Watc hfor the David Stremme [30] and Scott Speed [95] teams

SAFETY CAR - CAUTION for Paul Menard, A frontrunner in the Childress Chevy [27] 
IT WAS ON FIRE - CATASTROPHICAL Engine Issue - TNT with UNBELIEVEABLE footage - this car going 185mph+ And Fire under the hood - That's Terrible Terrible Damage

8.20 BELATED UPDATE Menard saying - NO WARNING for engine failure > MIght as well give a scare to Harvick [29] And Burton [31] And [33] and [1] and [42] since they may have the parts from the [27] Engine camp

41 TEAMS REMAIN IN RUNNING , THATS ALL TEAMS OTHER THAN [98] MAC AND [27] MEN

Over 30+ Cars coming to Pit road... We'll update on the teams I posted above as we now have 60 Miles in the books

PIT EXIT OUT according to TNT Telemetry 

[18] KYB [5] KAH [22] LOG [21] BAY [48] JOH [88] EAR [42] MON

Stewart Haas ' Danica [10] and Smoke Teams [14] 26th and 27th
[11] Denny got blocked Pit Out , instead of 2 tires , they got delayed and wanted to cash in on 4 tires 

ON LAP 29 SAFETY CAR WITHDRAWS. MILE 75 UPCOMING

[48] Jimmie Johnson / Hendrick Team ARE HERE 2 STAY .In front. 2nd Place.

[9] Ambrose / Petty along with teammate [43] Almirola, Trying to claw into Top 10

They Are 2 Wide, 12 Rows Back. Good Grief! Not Hoping for a Big Pileup but a Fast pace - so far the average is about 2.5 Miles in a minute

[17] Mr. Danica, Ricky Stenhouse Jr Hanging out behind Top 20, With [14] Tony Stewart and sister car  [39] Newman...

NEVER COUNT ANYONE OUT . Let alone top 30

Those kids though are OUTSIDE of the Lead Cluster or the Peloton. They are stacked 2 deep for dozens of rows. And they are NOT far behind - thats the danger they might 'lose the draft' But I doubt thatll happen

STANDINGS AT THE 100 MILE MARK / 40 Laps In Da Books

[48] [5][ 9] [21] [99] 16 11  22 18 1 20 2 42 88 78 43 56 13 17 30 10 24 7 14 95

For the most part, behind the Hornets' Nest

83 51 93 39 47 36 32 87 31 15 34 33 55 35 38 29
41 Cars in the running

For Wheldon!

#19 Allan Equality Wu

Allan Equality Wu

Novice

• 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Were past the 50 Lap Mark / 125 miles

[18] Ralph sheheen of TNT reporting - Kyle Busch is mad as hell and HE SHOULD - ralph saying Kyle stated that he's NOT let the foot off the hammer - AND HES STILL NOT GOING ANYWHERE

Tough luck for the dominator early in this 400 mile race as he's now behind the leaders

I'd Count 28 cars running within 3 Secs of the [48] Jimmie Johnson, Who Is Looking poised to SWEEP
Your definitions of the Scrum / Peloton / Hornets Nest should be different from mine - Thats just to give you an idea

Of the seperation / Lack Thereof 130 miles into daytona

[29] Harvick, IS REALLY SHY - he's dead last but of course its not where you start, Its Where You Finish. 
He's doing a darn good job saving his stuff . 5.5 seconds behind [48] JJ

[1] Jamie McMurray complaining car a bit Tight. He CANT Change it too much. Hes in Top 5.

To Describe The Dynamic - We're now 150 miles In - 22 CARS Are Within Point Blank Range of the lead

[10] Danica's Team, being 22nd Place 

The other 19 cars still running are SIMPLY STATED, LURKING

ALL OF THAT IS OPEN to your interpretation because, the cars way in front fighting for Top 10 , are so close together you can't fit a school textbook between them . The cars lurking in the field have much more leeway in between

GREENFLAG STOPS STARTING LAP 69 , Around Mile 175 ... 

[22] PACE CAR - SAFETY CAR NOW OUT as Joey Logano blows out the Right Front of this  car
[1] and [56] Horrible luck I suppose for the cars that came in just as field locks 

BELATED-- [22] Logano Team OFF THE TRACK SURFACE FOR SUSPENSION REPAIR. TOUGH BREAK WERE DOWN TO 40 TEAMS RUNNING FOR THE 400 WIN

48 16 2 78 5 17 13 off pit road under caution

[99] RUNS OVER HIS OWN SUBWAY PITCREW Member. Seems fine but good grief.

THE CAR RAN OVER THIS POOR GUYS FOOT AND DROVE OFF Thats going to be on SPEED Center WOW Factor

TNT Marty Snyder showing Colin - that tire carrier's Sneaker, that got ripped by the force of the car running over it

HALFWAY - 200 Miles In and Its been Only 1 Hour 15 Minutes !

[11] Hamlin [20] Kenseth / Joe Gibbs will likely get Halftime Honors

THAT HORNETS NEST IS BACK - 3 Wide racing several rows back through the middle of the field

And 23 cars within 2 seconds of lead. Not half bad for the drama and buildup

[16] Who got a good pitstop / got out in front now falling back below top half of this field

Delightful to see [10] and [17] Mr. + Mrs. Patrick bumpdrafting AND avoiding trouble

7 More Laps Until the 100 Lap 250 Mile Marker ... [11] and [20] in front
[48] went to front, then back, now back to the front of Top 5

[2] Brad Keselowski-Penske now only team car out there. He's in 6th within Shouting Distance To the leader

[56] CAUTION - SAFETY CAR FOR Martin truex jr who collects [11] and [42] Juan Montoya by the Turn 4 Exit

[56] Took an AWFUL hit on the inside pit wall - doubt injury is the case
The other 2 cars collected now doing maintenance In the Garage.

PITSTOP - 4th one by my count - First 10 cars leaving now Taking Just 2 Tires. Including [1] and [48] which lead the rest of the conga line down pits

There are now 37 Cars Left In Running , 37th place being [33] Landon Cassill 

For Wheldon!

#20 Allan Equality Wu

Allan Equality Wu

Novice

• 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

[10] WATCH At the 260th Mile / Lap 110 DANICA HAS CAUGHT THE LEADER - So much for laying back

Chris Neville of TNT I thinkinterviewed [56] Martin Truex Jr- saying it felt like his rear tire let out air/ deflation issues???

Single file string , for the front 8 cars .... The Drama IS MOUNTING - Were going from the Enduro Stage to the Video Game Sprint Stage

BY THE WAY AGGRESSIVE AND UNIMPRESSIVE IS TNTs Usage of Commercials . Really enjoyed the touch that the Wide Open Coverage had for last few years. Awful to see that they are Unable to continue that Routine.

The coverage is OK but can't say much about the adverts- Especially since my Cable Bill is so expensive it impacts my racing in Local Go kart course :/

DYNAMIC

[35] J Wise and Joe [87] Nemechek are just riding around, in 34th and 35th. Everyone else in front of them are within two arm's reach of the lead

AND JUST NOW TNT IS GOING COMMERCIAL FREE. Hahahah 75 miles to go

SMH 

Anyways CAUTION ----- 
[43] Safety car for Almirola - hitting REALLY hard in the wall before Start Finish, [30] Stremme collected too

The  [9] Ambrose, First clipped Stremme  AND THEN MADE HIS TEAMMATE THE SITTING DUCK Almirola

and [51] AJ Allmendinger also got involved

A 2nd 3 car shunt - Damage report pending as we are almost at 70 miles left in the 400

AND ON PIT LANE JEFF GORDON [24] HITS A STORM DRAIN , AND [55] Waltrip Spins Around
Chaos in middle of the lane, As the leaders , THE USUAL GANG, TOOK FUEL ONLY AND SKIMP ON TIRES

RESTART LAP 129 

We got 3 wide for a few rows , 2 wide all the way around as the PRESSURE IS HEAPING UP NOW

[18] Kyle Busch is PROVING that even with a bandage and cosmetic disturbance with the car , IT IS FAST ENOUGH to hold on to a top 10

For Wheldon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NASCAR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users