SharpView_1200_x_450.jpg?1363624473

Rear_1200_x_450.jpg?1363624404

Top Speed: 215 MPH
0-60: 2.8 Seconds
Horsepower: 615 @ 7800 RPM
Torque: 590 @ 4800 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Sequential
Drivetrain: RWD

The Bentley Speed 8 was an evolution of the EXP Speed 8, a closed-cockpit LMGTP racer that Bentley had developed in 2001 to accomplish a feat the legendary British marque had not achieved since 1930: an overall win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

After EXP Speed 8s had finished third and fourth in 2001 and 2002 respectively, a redesigned car was produced to attack the world-famous event's summit in 2003. Boasting improvements to its Audi-sourced 615-bhp, 4.0-liter V8 and suspension, significant modifications to its nose and fenders, and a trimmed-down moniker, the 1984-lb racer qualified for the contest in pole position.

The Bentley Speed 8 was capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds and could reach a top speed of 215 mph. However it was the legendary Bentley reliability that eventually led the #7 and #8 cars to a 1-2 finish -- several laps ahead of two privateer R8s -- which brought home the manufacturer's sixth Le Mans victory. 

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the Speed 8 in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 tigre73

tigre73

Semi-Pro

• 202 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

For Italian fans, on AS of this tuesday there is an long insert on this car. This car under VW and Audi brand was winner in Le Mans 2003 with number 7, second the other Bentley with number 8 characteristic of Bentley Brand. I don't know because they gave to Capello-Christensen the  strongest driver the number 7

#3 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

This is our Test Drive Tuesday car on 16th of July, 2013. Test it for the entire 24 hours and get a chance to purchase it with a 50% discount ($4.50)!  B)

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#4 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

This is our Test Drive Tuesday car on 16th of July, 2013. Test it for the entire 24 hours and get a chance to purchase it with a 50% discount ($4.50)!  B)

Are you locking the currently running event with this car then like you did before for 24 hours?

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#5 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

Are you locking the currently running event with this car then like you did before for 24 hours?

Yes, of course. Servers in all of these will be shut down for 24 hours.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#6 Deigima

Deigima

Pro

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  • Locationbyron bay, australia

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

ive got a few races uploaded in this beast. was a tough car to pick up, but hella fun once i got used to it

My youtube playlist for SimRaceway
I like boxy cars.
300fps @ indianapolis :D

#7 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review #26: 2003 Bentley Speed 8
05/26/2015

Bentley and Le Mans have a strong history together. After taking part in the very first 24 hours of Le Mans and winning six times the race though, Bentley didn’t show up in France for nearly 70 years. But in the early 2000s, now part of the almighty Volkswagen group, Bentley was asked to return, in a call to its glorious hours of the past. The EXP Speed 8 debuted in 2001, inspired by the Audi R8C and competing against others R8s. It could never beat the sister company, but it was decided that for 2003 Bentley would be the sole official VW team to compete. The EXP Speed 8 was completely reworked, sporting new aero, suspension and monocoque, and a modified version of its Audi-sourced 4 liter turbo V8. The Speed 8 did much more than just win: it destroyed the opposition (mainly privateer R8s), and scored a 1-2, leading by several laps at the end of the race. It also won on another front: it remains one of the most beautiful modern racers.

And it is as beautiful to drive as it is to look at, which is a tall order.

You can feel that it’s an endurance racecar. The car feels supple, easy to drive. There’s a lightness to the steering that makes it easy to judge through slow corners, and the engine is so full of torque that you don’t really need to pay attention to the gear you’re in. It just keeps pulling. There’s also a massive amount of downforce. But it doesn’t mask the character of the car, as it can do in some F1s. It’s beautifully balanced with the mechanical grip, and both work well together. Though it must be said, traction in first gear is almost non-existent. Don’t use 1st gear. There’s enough torque not to, anyway.

Because of all of that, it’s a car that’s surprisingly easy to drive if you simply want to be consistent lap after lap. But if you want to go for that one gold lap, or if you’re good enough to be constantly at the limit of the car (which does require some talent), the Bentley suddenly becomes something else entirely. But it takes a bit of a leap of faith. It’s as if there was a secret room, full of wonders, that you could only access through bungee-jumping.

Once you’re there though… It’s magical. The car comes to life, and you really are pushed to work with it. It’s a real animal, ferocious and beautiful. But it’ll let you play with it. Balance it through the fast bends, feel the rear end help the nose attack the apex, and then the aero pushing you out of the corner at bewildering speeds. You can really feel everything that’s going on; the car is truly talking to you. All of a sudden, the brakes are brutally effective, the nose superbly intuitive. For me, it was hard to stay in that zone though, because I was constantly pushed out of my limits, and at some point I would ask too much of the rear end, and the connection would break. Spinning would become nearly unavoidable. But for those magic laps where everything was going perfectly, it was as if I was the racing driver I always wished I could become. It was magnificent. So I’d take it a tad more slowly, enjoy the drivability of those 90%, and then, when the confidence was up again, have a go at breaking my personal best. In that zone, it’s faster than the more modern R18. That’s high praise.

Once, I took it to Silverstone, set the practice session at 6pm, filled the tank, and turned off all the displays, to enjoy the awesome cabin and the sunset. I drove until the track went completely dark, and then some more. One of the most amazing evenings I had on Simraceway.

To find out how it did against all the other TDT cars, follow this link to the TDT Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

#8 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

It's not true to say the EXP Speed 8 was based on the R8C, even though RTN (Racing Technology Norfolk) designed and built both cars on behalf of Audi & Bentley, but it was undoubtedly influenced by lessons learnt from that design.

The Speed 8 though was an entirely new car, which shared nothing with either the EXP Speed 8 or Audi R8, except the R8's engine which was,as you say, modified to suit its needs.

For more info on the Bentley EXP Speed 8 and Speed 8 models look at these sites

http://www.mulsannes...entleylmgtp.htm

http://www.mulsannes...leylmgtp03.html

http://www.cia.uk.net/rtn.asp

#9 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

Well, let's just say that "based off" and "deeply reworked" are shortcuts I took. But you're right, it isn't absolutely correct, and I'll get a "this lap won't count" for this one, so I'll edit it!

I shouldn't have neglected to visit Mulsanne's Corner before writing this article, always the place to go :)

I stand corrected. Thanks for your inputs!

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

#10 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

Well, let's just say that "based off" and "deeply reworked" are shortcuts I took. But you're right, it isn't absolutely correct, and I'll get a "this lap won't count" for this one, so I'll edit it!

I shouldn't have neglected to visit Mulsanne's Corner before writing this article, always the place to go :)

I stand corrected. Thanks for your inputs!

It was another good review otherwise, so I'm always happy to help where I can.

I hope I didn't offend you with the language I used as I wasn't intending to be harsh in any way.

#11 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

You didn't, and I always appreciate a quality feedback :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users