Photo

How Skillquant works (facts and speculation)

Skillquant How fact facts speculation theories theory working

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 RandomnessInside

RandomnessInside

Pro

• 365 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

NOTE: Many speculations have been proved wrong and new ones have been discovered. OP will no longer be updated, follow the discussion.

Hello everyone,

I saw there's one post about this topic already, but last replies are from 2013 and the info is either inaccurate or insuccifient, so I decided I might as well go ahead and elaborate in the working of Skillquant more from my point of view, having plenty of material to support facts and speculation with.

So, you might ask "why did my SQ rise/drop this much?" Well, there's many things that affect your SQ in the background, and I'll cover some stuff I've acknowledged.

First off, most importantly, SQ does not represent your speed. Rather, it represents your activity and versatility. These being said, it's obvious that there are some people with high SQ that cannot be near the top in the leaderboards, however, just in case I won't name any example(s) here. Sure, one could say it's because they haven't played the game for a while. Now, while this could make sense, the commitment and activity comes in. Your SQ will most likely drop if you are inactive for long periods of time. The more you play, the more chances you will have to either keep your SQ as it is or rise it. However, activity is not the only way to keep or rise your SQ. Hold on, I mentioned keeping and rising only. So, let's cover the SQ-lowering actions next.

While I don't have a lot of experience on things that affect on your SQ negatively, I'll try to point out some important things. Firstly, myself being over 1,000 SQ, I don't do a lot of mistakes. Mistakes are however a thing we all do. That being said, it should not affect on your SQ. Penalties are another thing. Quick race/hotlap penalties, as I've seen it, won't affect on your SQ. Crashing won't either. However, one thing that CAN lower your SQ, is, in this case, lack of pace. In quick races, however, bad races can lower your SQ. I'm not certain what affects your SQ in these but most likely the finishing position. Quick races are also an effective way of gaining SQ so it's pretty much do or die.

Now that I'm writing this post on the 19th of July, I woke up this morning to see my SQ had gone from 1,056 to 1,055 suddenly without me taking action. This was most likely achieved by the fact that I got overtaken in a hotlap event. So, in a sense, the lower you are on the tables, the more your SQ might drop. If I were to improve more on that event (and not just gain my position back) the SQ should be restored. However, I got 1,056 again simply by test driving a new car I haven't tried yet, in a quick race. Trying more cars (and tracks) is a major factor in the calculation of your SQ. Like mentioned above, versatility is the other counterpart of your SQ. This is what it means. You shouldn't stick to just one or a couple of more cars, in which case you might be stuck on your current SQ for a while before it will rise again, OR even lose SQ. Rather, you should try as many cars and tracks as possible. From my point of view, since I no longer possess a low SQ, gain 1 SQ point per new car I try out sufficiently enough. However, since I only own 52 cars at the moment and have tried less than 100 in total, this wouldn't mean I could go over the 1100 SQ limit. It's obvious that the higher you go, the tougher it is to improve, such like gaining experience points towards the next level in RPGs. Works the same way. So later on, I assume this would mean I would need to try 2 cars instead for 1 SQ point.

That's all there is to it, really. I repeat, SQ represents your activity and versatility. The more actively you try more and more cars and tracks, the higher your SQ will be. However, like many people have noticed, some people can be very quick though their SQ is low. This can either mean they have just started and already have lots of experience from outside SRW, or simply don't have a higher SQ yet as there might be a delay in gathering the data, OR they have sandbagged. Sandbagging means relegating to lower ranks in order to achieve good results easier. A thing I find weak, honestly. If you want to progress on your career, keep pushing. You won't get any profit by relegating and dominating the field. It is quite obvious when they look at it. So, I encourage everyone to try out many combinations if you wish to increase your SQ! :)

Please share your own experiences below if you have anything in mind and leave your thoughts below if found this helpful.

P.S. Try also as high-classed cars as possible. My SQ went down from 1,055 to around 1,020 after trying a kart event. It's fair to say a free, slow car affected in my SQ, no matter how good I was at it. :)

P.P.S. Practice mode won't affect on your SQ. Online activity only.

Active since October 2014
Wheel: Logitech G27
Check out my YouTube.

#2 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 751 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi Randomness.

I don't know how SkillQuants work.  As for trying different cars and tracks I race almost anything.  I have 96 cars and almost always try all hotlaps and most quickraces.  I have been on here since 2012 and have 110,000 miles yet my SQ is always 633.  I checked my wins / total races and I have a 12% win rate. I don't crash often and I am not sandbagging.  I know I am not the fastest but rarely the slowest.  I understand why they won't tell us the exact formula to keep us from twisting the rules.  For as little as it effects the racing fun I really don't care much what my SQ is. I have found most higher SQ racers always willing to join me when I restart a race they start with a SQ too high for me to get in. 

Have fun and see ya at the races ! 

#3 RandomnessInside

RandomnessInside

Pro

• 365 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi Randomness.
I don't know how SkillQuants work.  As for trying different cars and tracks I race almost anything.  I have 96 cars and almost always try all hotlaps and most quickraces.  I have been on here since 2012 and have 110,000 miles yet my SQ is always 633.  I checked my wins / total races and I have a 12% win rate. I don't crash often and I am not sandbagging.  I know I am not the fastest but rarely the slowest.  I understand why they won't tell us the exact formula to keep us from twisting the rules.  For as little as it effects the racing fun I really don't care much what my SQ is. I have found most higher SQ racers always willing to join me when I restart a race they start with a SQ too high for me to get in. 
Have fun and see ya at the races !

Yes, it's understandable that the Skillquant calculation formula won't be revealed to avoid abusing the system...as for you staying at 633, I think there could be one or more explanations...first that comes to mind is you might race karts too often(?) and higher classes less. And while speed is not the main factor of SQ it still does affect, so you must make the most out of each car in order for the SQ to raise...anyone can drive any car, but question is, how well..

Hope you're having fun out there too. :)

Check out my YouTube.

#4 m0LN4r

m0LN4r

Semi-Pro

• 161 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

So I raced the gokart today and improved my time. I'll report if it raises or drops until tomorrow.

SQ: 820ish -- Miles Raced: 12000 -- Team: ATS -- RIG: DFGT + TV

Need advice for gaming build or workstation? Ask me, don't be so shy.

#5 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 751 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

I rarely race the karts ( but sometimes they are just too much fun ) and usually race higher class cars more ( like the F1 and supercars along with the antique and musclecars ).

It could be the speed ;)  but I have a 4th in one of the hotlap events right now with 40 some entered drivers.

#6 RandomnessInside

RandomnessInside

Pro

• 365 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

I rarely race the karts ( but sometimes they are just too much fun ) and usually race higher class cars more ( like the F1 and supercars along with the antique and musclecars ).

It could be the speed ;)  but I have a 4th in one of the hotlap events right now with 40 some entered drivers.

Yes, like I said, you might drive many combinations but how well do you do in them?

Now that I'm writing this post on the 19th of July, I woke up this morning to see my SQ had gone from 1,056 to 1,055 suddenly without me taking action. This was most likely achieved by the fact that I got overtaken in a hotlap event. So, in a sense, the lower you are on the tables, the more your SQ might drop. If I were to improve more on that event (and not just gain my position back) the SQ should be restored.

Check out my YouTube.

#7 Tiptoe

Tiptoe

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

Well, new cars and tracks... Yes. But you shouldn't suck completely at that combo. Otherwise, the trick won't work.

I stopped driving the Jaguar D-Type, because I just couldn't understand the car and I managed to lower my SQ by two points, while testdriving it into walls and barriers all day.

Owner of SDEv
Sportscar Driving Evolution

We help young teams to get started!

#8 RandomnessInside

RandomnessInside

Pro

• 365 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Well, new cars and tracks... Yes. But you shouldn't suck completely at that combo. Otherwise, the trick won't work.

See my first reply to fettucine. ^^

Check out my YouTube.

#9 m0LN4r

m0LN4r

Semi-Pro

• 161 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

I improved my gokart and wttcc brno time by very little yesterday. The SQ went up by +1

#10 RandomnessInside

RandomnessInside

Pro

• 365 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

So, I finished 2nd twice in a quick race, seeing as I usually win them, I lost 1 SQ and with that reverted back to 1,057. :P

Aaaand now it's back to 1,058. It returned with a delay, I wonder what affected on it this time. I did improve a hotlap..

Edited by RandomnessInside, 20 May 2015 - 07:42 PM.

Check out my YouTube.

#11 m0LN4r

m0LN4r

Semi-Pro

• 161 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

Yesterday I thought it was the wtcc that caused the +1, but then I improved my gokart time again and it went up by +1 again.

IMHO i think the SQ is corelated to other players SQ too. It does not rely solely on  one persons data, but a mix of average inside each event/race.

Maybe I am wrong.

Who would like to see a Hall of fame for SQ ?  I mean every game has a hall of fame using (experience, gold, points, skill level, level, achievements etc.) I can be done like DriverName | MaxSq | Current

#12 RandomnessInside

RandomnessInside

Pro

• 365 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

Yesterday I thought it was the wtcc that caused the +1, but then I improved my gokart time again and it went up by +1 again.

IMHO i think the SQ is corelated to other players SQ too. It does not rely solely on  one persons data, but a mix of average inside each event/race.
Maybe I am wrong.

Who would like to see a Hall of fame for SQ ?  I mean every game has a hall of fame using (experience, gold, points, skill level, level, achievements etc.) I can be done like DriverName | MaxSq | Current

Very possible, since if you beat someone with high SQ yours would definitely rise. It's not just the positions but who you're beating. In any case, it's not the laptimes/speed itself, just the results.

And yes, would be a nice feature.

Check out my YouTube.

#13 Reno

Reno

Semi-Pro

• 106 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:45 PM

Interesting topic, it's good to rely on people's expericence and gather datas to determine how it works. I've always been wondering.

If this may help, I'll give just two observations taken from my personal case:

- I haven't been playing for approximatively two months -except a run in the Indy 500- and my SQ didn't drop;

- I suspect the driving aids to be taken into account. Since I started using an automatic clutch for all cars, my SQ has stagnated. Besides, I noted sudden variations of my SQ when I switched from aids-free cars to others where I turn ABS or ESP on.

After 200 consistent laps in the Indy 500 event, with a top 5 ranking overall, my SQ didn't change a bit.

The remark concerning the class of the cars is interesting. I mentionned above that my SQ has been stagnating, but it may also be linked to the category of cars I'm driving, since I now only focus on WTCC cars, F3, GTs or FWD road cars. That takes us back to a previous debate about creating new SQ ranges, especially in the 900-1100 category. In another topic, I said a top driver may still prefer racing F3s than F1s, or touring cars rather than GTs. We all have our favorite playing field and the notion of 'skill' measured by the SkillQuant may only remain valid for a car class and not another.

Maybe there is something more important than just winning races. (Mark Donohue)
All race drivers return to the obscurity they came from. (Mark Donohue)

A noi date vittoria e poi l'eterna gloria in paradisu.

#14 m0LN4r

m0LN4r

Semi-Pro

• 161 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

I did some more testing. Entered 2 expert events, did a decent time, but the SQ didn't really raise at all.

I think that diferent cars, dependping on their progression ladder categorisation is more relevant.

#15 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke, Hampshire

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

When SQ first came out we were told that combo variety was an important factor.

SQ 890 Miles raced: 25k+ Total points: 35k+ Cars:64

#16 m0LN4r

m0LN4r

Semi-Pro

• 161 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Ok here is, why my theories cruble :)

I raced only the two expert events this week and there was no noticable SQ change despite very good results.

But OK, maybe because I raced only the EVO and Lola.

But wait for it. You probably now Simkitty by now. Her SQ was 500 and after entering the EVO expert event and playing only that this week, her SQ jumped to 755 even though she did 10 laps and smashed the EVO 100 times :) (https://www.simracew...ne_racing/11018 Simkitty - place 54)

I think that the system is very complex and maybe event has different variables for different event clasification and expected experience according to current SQ level.

#17 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 751 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

I raced with the assists off for the last week and SQ is still the same.  Not sure what that means but just throwing that in.

#18 TrykTurbo

TrykTurbo

Novice

• 11 posts
  • LocationSK, Canada

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

I raced with the assists off for the last week and SQ is still the same.  Not sure what that means but just throwing that in.

I think it is strange that Fettuccine's SQ stays right on 633...could there be a glitch in the system?  I have raced with Fett lots and he is a very clean driver who can be pretty darn quick too.  It seems to me his SQ should be higher??

My SQ number changes every single day, sometimes a few times a day so if Fett's has not moved off of 633 for a very long time there must be an error happening?  

#19 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke, Hampshire

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:46 PM

When I was racing a lot more, my sq got as high as 906. After a few months hardly doing anything it dropped slowly to 890's. Seems many factors affect it.

SQ 890 Miles raced: 25k+ Total points: 35k+ Cars:64

#20 RandomnessInside

RandomnessInside

Pro

• 365 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

But wait for it. You probably now Simkitty by now. Her SQ was 500 and after entering the EVO expert event and playing only that this week, her SQ jumped to 755 even though she did 10 laps and smashed the EVO 100 times :)

All the more proof crashing and mistakes don't affect on your SQ. :P

When I was racing a lot more, my sq got as high as 906. After a few months hardly doing anything it dropped slowly to 890's. Seems many factors affect it.

Like mentioned, activity is one major factor. :)

Check out my YouTube.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Skillquant, How, fact, facts, speculation, theories, theory, working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users