SharpView_1200_x_450.jpg?1362163100

Rear_1200_x_450.jpg?1362163089

Top Speed:198 MPH
0-60: 3.7 Seconds
Horsepower: 563 @ 6900 RPM
Torque: 479 @ 4800 RPM
Transmission: 7 Speed Automatic
Drivetrain: RWD

The AMG-designed Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG was unveiled at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show and went on sale a year later. While it effectively replaced the SLR McLaren on the production line, its makers saw the car more as a spiritual successor to the 1950s-vintage 300SL.

However while this front-engined two-seater offers a similarly breathtaking design -- replete with broad radiator grille and distinctive 'gullwing' doors -- to that of its prized predecessor, the family resemblance largely ends there. With its all-aluminum construction, automatically-deployed rear spoiler, Formula One-style LED reversing lights, and chrome tailpipes, the cutting-edge coupe would seem manifestly other-worldly to the 1950s icon's original occupants.

Moreover the SLS AMG's 6.2-liter V8 manages to crank out a thoroughly modern 563 bhp -- power that is willingly relayed to its rear wheels by an AMG dual-clutch seven-speed sports transmission. This enables the 3,600-lb car to hit 60 in 3.7 seconds and an electronically-limited top speed of 197 mph (free of its hi-tech shackles, it can reach well over 200 mph).

Please share your reviews, videos, pictures, or critiques about the SLS AMG in the comment section. And be sure to check back regularly to read our very own Simraceway staff give you some insight into the creation of this high-performance machine. 

Ojan
Simraceway Community and Customer Service
San Francisco, California

#2 Swir80PL

Swir80PL

Novice

• 42 posts
  • Twitter:swir80pl
  • LocationDublin

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

Really pleasure to drive. Just enough grip to keep it under control, you can let it go wild a bit and keep it on the leash. FF also feels very good.

#3 McClusky

McClusky

Contributor

• 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

If you read my post about the Camaro LZ1 I have the same feeling(s) about the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG as it too is one of the best sim cars I’ve ever driven. As I said in the LZ1 post the SLS AMG also “feeds” my G27, buttkicker and headphones in a way that makes me feel one with the road.

Again, great job SRW!

#4 Bigbazz

Bigbazz

Seasoned

• 73 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

I've owned this for a while but haven't driven it much. So having just got out of the Sierra Cosworth RS500 and into the SLS I noticed something really bad. The Cosworth has an amazingly well done interior, highly detailed and crisp to almost perfection, then I jump into the SLS and it has a really dated looking cockpit with a whole buffet of very low res textures, now I'm not sure if this is a bug but going from the Cosworth to the AMG SLS was like going back in time.

For example, the "AMG" badge on the dashboard is so low res and pixelated that you can barely make it out.

Secondly, though the SLS is fun to drive it drives like a purpose built track car, it's well behaved and planted coming out of the corners as if it's on a set of semi-slicks rather than road tyres.

This is the Black edition (which I don't think is the version we have in game) which is more suited to a track, but Chris Harris is very easily able to get this thing very sideways.  The SLS AMG has always been known as a bit of a yob of a car, just a powerhouse car for people to be noisy and ruin tyres, I find the Simraceway car is perhaps a bit too stale, understeer on entry and only oversteer on exit if you really try for it.

When you throw in the games optimisation around 500 degrees the car doesn't ever really feel right through the wheel. The real car has 2.5 turns from lock to lock (900 degrees), but we're experiencing that down at 500 degrees and there is no way around this that gives good results.

#5 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review #24: 2010 Mercedes SLS AMG
05/12/2015

Since its inception in 2010, I don’t think I was ever really convinced by the Mercedes SLS AMG. I think that I didn’t really get its point. I always found it too big, too heavy, too pricey versus its competitors and borderline vulgar. I thought that a car that big wouldn’t be very usable as a sports car on the road, and that it would be too heavy, too soft to be properly enjoyable on a track. Happily for me, Simraceway was here to prove me wrong.

Yes, it is a heavy car (3,600 lb). Yes, it does look that this car is going to be a boat navigating on a sea of understeer. And I still find it brash. But what I failed to see is how much fun this car can be on track.

Very fast road cars usually aren’t: they are very powerful, very fast, but lack the grippy tires and the good brakes of racecars, which tends to turn any attempt to drive fast in them in an understeer management exercise where you spend half of the straights thinking that these brakes aren’t enough and that’ll you’ll never ever make it to one apex. Pretty frustrating.

The SLS circumnavigate that problem not by being light, or slow, or by having brakes the size of little planetoids; no, instead the big Merc’ makes you feel like chasing tenths was never actually the point. The brakes still aren’t enough; the nose is still pretty heavy. But you just don’t care anymore.

And all of that is thanks to that definitely iconic 6.2 V8, and to the rear axle. All of the torque and no weight at the rear means that it will slide whenever you want it. Its tail simply feels happy. It’s like a happy kid that jumps around, so eager to prove to its parents that “look! Look! I can go theeere! And then theeere!”. And while it will step out at any low speed corner if you want it to, it’s never something you have to work around; it will never take you by surprise. It’s rather something that encourages you to play with it. As a result, you don’t really feel that much understeer, and more importantly, you don’t take driving this car too seriously.

What’s more, the SLS still is a good car if you don’t want to fool around. Sure, there are better cars if you want to do that (the Audi R8 or the McLaren 12C for example). But if you want to make it behave, it will. I was amazed at how composed it was at Sonoma. OK, it’s no razor sharp weapon. But if you want that, there are plenty of race cars available.

A good surprise then, and one very entertaining car. Plus it’s rather cheap, so I think I’ll get it someday, and have fun for hours around Edmonton. Pity it’s not in the “Street Cars Track Day” group.

To find out how it did against all the other TDT cars, follow this link to the TDT Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

#6 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

Simraceway Stand-off #1: Lexus LFA v. Mercedes SLS

For this week's SRW Stand-Off, I decided to compare two cars that not that many people think are really comparable. The Lexus is more thought to a be a one-off hypercar, extremely exclusive and very techy, while the Mercedes seems to be more common (relatively), and build around old-school recipes. But the more you think about it, the more it makes sense. Both are stuck, by design, between the raw speed and efficiency of pure supercars on one side, and both could be described as GTs, compliant and comfortable, with a big engine upfront and drive to the rear wheels. Both were their own brand’s flagships at the time, and as such they were pretty expensive, though they are pretty cheap in SRW. Perhaps more importantly, they share close specs: more than 550hp, less than 4 seconds to 60mph and a top speed of around 200mph.

Reading these specs, it’s obvious that they will have another common trait: oversteer. And oh boy, do they deliver. You can have their tails hanging out whenever you want, and sometimes when you don’t!

They, however, have also some pretty profound differences. While they have similar lap times (less than three tenths at Watkins Glen!), they produce it in a pretty different way.

Let’s start with the Lexus. And I must say, even if this is the second time this car pops up in a review, and even if I did clock some more miles between them, I’m still amazed by the way the car handles. You would never guess how precise it is, how balanced it remains through the corners.

Even with a V10 stuck at the front of the car, the weight distribution seems to be absolutely perfect. And so what you get is an awesome front end, as pointy as you’d want it, while still having a rear-end that turns with it under braking, and will do big slides if you want it to. Body roll is extremely controlled as well, making the car very predictable when pushing hard.

That can’t exactly be said of the big Merc. It’s heavier (around 200lbs more), lazier and it rolls a lot more. It isn’t a boat, but jumping into it after the electrifying Lexus, it’s sometimes hard to understand the grip limits, especially when faced with understeer. It’s easier to drive, more approachable, but less of a track car. But the SLS backs that more laid-back, less focused approach by having one of the most incredible character you can find in a road car in SRW. This car is just happy, and wants you to have fun all the time. It’s helped, it has to be said, by a great V8, torquey as hell. This feels more like an old-school muscle car, while it seems the Lexus out-germaned Mercedes on this one.

Not that it is boring. You could never call boring a car fitted with this incredible engine, even if it was, say, a Prius. It howls, screams to a nearly 9,000rpm redline, with lacking some punch lower in the rev range. This, coupled with the perfect chassis of the LFA, combines to form one of the most enjoyable road cars to trash around a track.

It has one issue though. While it felt faster, and a bit more engaging than the SLS, it was actually slower pretty much everywhere. Reviewing the cars, I was able to get to a very satisfying 1:53.128 around Zandvoort, after 10 laps of hard work. Then I took the Merc for a spin, and got to a 1:51.206 in three laps. That’s pretty disappointing, seeing how the LFA likes to be pushed to the absolute limit.

But it wouldn’t stop me from choosing the Lexus. Now, I’m not saying that the Mercedes is a bad car. It’s freaking amazing, a good laugh and always loads of fun, without throwing some good driving qualities away. In a direct comparison though, the Merc’s less focused settings make it feel a tiny bit

clumsier, less involving, less happy at the absolute limit.

I would always miss the edge the Lexus has. It just wants to be driven very, very hard. Its engine is unique, and anyway, you can still drift it around every corner if you want to! But I guess it will depend on what you want a road car to be: simple fun, or an edgy blade. I bought both. But the LFA was higher up my list.

see how they did on the overall Leaderboard: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users