Photo

Off-road and Touring Championship

off-road rally touring wtcc giza brno tropical island tom coronel dakar dakar rally

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#21 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

Yes, it always used to add an interesting element to the competition. Just prepare a good strategy and you'll be fine

Its different when there's only 2 laps.  Let's say on the first timed lap I get orange damage, slowing me down.  Now I re pit... have to do another untimed lap, and Might not have enough time to do a qualifying lap.

But as koba said, can start at the back and maybe do well.  I don't know why I worry and stress, things work out.  But I do find it really unfair to those who need a bit more time to get a good time.

#22 supercar1

supercar1

supercar1

• Community Champion
  • 920 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:59 PM

Its different when there's only 2 laps.  Let's say on the first timed lap I get orange damage, slowing me down.  Now I re pit... have to do another untimed lap, and Might not have enough time to do a qualifying lap.

But as koba said, can start at the back and maybe do well.  I don't know why I worry and stress, things work out.  But I do find it really unfair to those who need a bit more time to get a good time.

Or if you get some computer or game problem/error, you're basically f... up the qualifying session

Pedro Ramos :D
Portugal

#23 Tiptoe

Tiptoe

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:28 AM

Guys, relax!

You can lose three seconds in one corner by just sliding off the line. Then you would be last of the field in no time, even if you started from pole.

This track is not about tenths and bump drafting. It's about crash avoidance, patience and cool headedness (<- is this english?).

Those races are pretty short, anyways. And that's because this sand is endless and you get a chance to do something about your race in every single corner...

Besides, that orange damage, if it slows you down, it will most likely help you decrease your laptimes, instead of the opposite.

You're welcome, Simraceway!

Now to you. This off road stuff doesn't really convince me. Either it's the force feedback, that can't transmit the idea of soft underground or the soft underground is simply nothing else, than rough tarmac with reduced grip figures... Next to deadly, rock solid plastic bands.

Owner of SDEv
Sportscar Driving Evolution

We help young teams to get started!

#24 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:38 AM

You're welcome, Simraceway!

Now to you. This off road stuff doesn't really convince me. Either it's the force feedback, that can't transmit the idea of soft underground or the soft underground is simply nothing else, than rough tarmac with reduced grip figures... Next to deadly, rock solid plastic bands.

Yeah, I was slower with abs off than abs high, and didn't lose much time using TC medium.  It does seem like a "tarmac" friction modified surface.  The medium TC was a bit slower, but it was better at keeping laptimes consistent.

I thought abs off would be best for dirt, but I did some stopping tests and no difference.  In slight turning abs actually helped brake later.?  I thought dirt works better with lock up (pile the dirt) and wheelspin (gain momentum from the dirt/gravel/etc kicked back?)

#25 lachiasse

lachiasse

Semi-Pro

• 179 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

Guys, relax!

You can lose three seconds in one corner by just sliding off the line. Then you would be last of the field in no time, even if you started from pole.

This track is not about tenths and bump drafting. It's about crash avoidance, patience and cool headedness

man how did you know that would happen ? seems my partners in dirt know me well :ph34r:

#26 Tiptoe

Tiptoe

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

[...]

I thought abs off would be best for dirt, but I did some stopping tests and no difference.  In slight turning abs actually helped brake later.?  I thought dirt works better with lock up (pile the dirt) and wheelspin (gain momentum from the dirt/gravel/etc kicked back?)

Piling up dirt does affect the handling a lot, that's true. BUT, it all depends on how comprimated this stuff is and what tires are rolling onto it.

I actually noticed, during the races yesterday, that some death traps are hidden in the soft sand next to the hardened and flattened "road". This, somehow feels right, again.

And on hard, comprimated dirt, the ABS would even be able to do something for you, since there is no really pyling up dirt. Only dust...

Really, off-road physics are a tough cookie!

The muddy trail around Tropical Island feels more convincing, due to its narrowness.

Anyhow, I start to really enjoy this dirt racing. Can't wait for the first rallye-cross circuit to come up!

(This little autocross track on the Sonoma car park is fun, too. But it's no rally-cross, suitable for people racing each other.)

Owner of SDEv

#27 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

I have to admit the Buggy at Giza event went much better than I expected.  After this month's theme picture was released but before the car/track combos were announced, I guessed it would be the Buggy at Giza and I was already lobbying to replace the buggy with the Evo because I was afraid with the Buggy it would be a crashfest and there wouldn't be close racing.  I think a few people agreed with me.  Well I was wrong.  The racing was fantastic. :P   In my race I had a train of buggies behind me for most of the race—it was a constant battle.  And I was surprised how few retirements there were.  And out of all four races, I think I only remember seeing one guy upside down.  So I guess Coss had more faith in the SRW racers than some of us had in ourselves. ashamed0005.gif  I don't want to race the Buggy often but it was a great experience to race something with such a long squishy suspension.

OK off to Brno now to drive the grocery getters, although I know a few guys like lachiasse and Tiptoe will only drive the more manly BMW.

#28 sierra28

sierra28

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationArad, Romania

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

LoL manly BMW, what do you think is wrong with my Volvo ? :D ,  or Alex Seat :D ?

Sierra28 member of SDEv

#29 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

As usual, I will be tracking the championship with my tables.

http://www.dg42.net/...event=1501WSQ59
http://www.dg42.net/...vent=1501WSQ911

Giza Notes:

In the SQ 500-900 B Race, Ecnelis, Jll02, Animal, and coolchen went through the qualifying session but were unable to race due to Simraceway system problems encountered during the session, so I have assigned points to them based on their qualifying position, as per Coss in chat.  In the SQ 500-900 A Race, rk98nl and Tsyal participated in qualifying but did not start.  I assigned them points based on qualy position as well.

Oh I wanted to mention, Coss seemed to think that Mesder13 was making his race debut at Giza (called him a "debutant"), but my tables indicated that Mesder13 participated in the SQ 700-900 B Race in the F3 at Sonoma event during the Free to Play championship.  And here's the proof. ;) He's a grizzled old veteran!

#30 sierra28

sierra28

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationArad, Romania

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

don't know if only me , but i have no words for the race that Grivi did , he was like pole to 10th then 5th then 9th then recover then again fall back and still ended up in front 3:08.7 wow in race, IMPRESSIVE racing :D , huge respect for Grivi

Sierra28 member of SDEv

#31 ingange

ingange

Crew Chief

• 504 posts
  • LocationMaribor

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

I had good time racing yesterday .  I did a stupid mistake and spun after that thing went down .  I had great battle with popo till my mistake .

BUT man of the race was Bolinhas ! He did a great yob .

Special thx goes to Kobayashi for keeping us up to date with his championship tables .

Racing is what real men do while the boys play football .

http://addictedtospeed.enjin.com/ <--- Home Of Addicted To Speed

#32 gymwhaley

gymwhaley

Novice

• 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

great races

#33 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

What about Blkholsuhn he qualified 5th, but do to all the restarts he somehow lost force feedback.

blkholsuhn is in his proper place at P20. He is listed last among the people who started the B race.

#34 Mesder13

Mesder13

Seasoned

• 66 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

Oh I wanted to mention, Coss seemed to think that Mesder13 was making his race debut at Giza (called him a "debutant"), but my tables indicated that Mesder13 participated in the SQ 700-900 B Race in the F3 at Sonoma event during the Free to Play championship.  And here's the proof. ;) He's a grizzled old veteran!

There's a funny story to that, that was my first weekend after i'd started playing SRW and I didn't even realize it was a championship or anything. I sort of accidentally ended up in the race through the events page, haha. I don't even know if I was qualified for it, but I guess I was since nobody said anything about me being there. I'm counting this as my first REAL race since I actually knew what I was doing this time.

#35 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

There's a funny story to that, that was my first weekend after i'd started playing SRW and I didn't even realize it was a championship or anything. I sort of accidentally ended up in the race through the events page, haha. I don't even know if I was qualified for it, but I guess I was since nobody said anything about me being there. I'm counting this as my first REAL race since I actually knew what I was doing this time.

Ha, that's pretty funny, you just stumbled into it. Actually you were P32 in the hot lap so you were a legitimate reserve.

#36 Ecnelis

Ecnelis

Semi-Pro

• 109 posts
  • LocationPrehoryłe

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

Giza Notes:

In the SQ 500-900 B Race, Ecnelis, Jll02, Animal, and coolchen went through the qualifying session but were unable to race due to Simraceway system problems encountered during the session, so I have assigned points to them based on their qualifying position, as per Coss in chat.

Yep, that was disappointing... Just when everything seems to be worked out I stuck with "you are missing the required content" screen. PC restart helped but it was too late and I was no longer able to join race session...

#37 kelseyg

kelseyg

Seasoned

• 52 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

Well I qualified the worst I'd done since being a newbie, previous champ managed A grade each round, this time though only just made it into B grade 500-900 :(

Did I have fun? Sure did :) was probably the most competitive B grade race in 500-900 I'd seen, had to fight hard for second most the race (first took off into the distance early on) and was very pleased to finish in second.

#38 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

Well I qualified the worst I'd done since being a newbie, previous champ managed A grade each round, this time though only just made it into B grade 500-900 :(

A free car meant more people doing the hot lap and more intense competition. The upcoming WTCC cars aren't free but they were very popular as soon as they were released. In the first two WTCC races in August, I struggled to make the A race. In the hot laps I finished P14 and P15 (but made the A race because someone above me said he was not going to race). The hot lap for this week will be intense with very tight times. 

#39 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

I thought I saw in chat during the races that for the WTCC race, the hot lap event will be used to determine grid position.  Is that correct?

So instead of 20 minutes of practice-qualy-warmup, how long will the pre-race warmup be?  How about 12 minutes?  Switching from three sessions to just one session will save more time than just the difference in session time, since there's extra time at the end of each session.

#40 lachiasse

lachiasse

Semi-Pro

• 179 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:12 AM

im not all in on this as i like the idea of qualifications as its pretty suspensefull. and also because not everyone is able to be in the same 'zone' everyday.

so this can cause false assumptions or expectation.

between two games of card you do shuffle do you :-p

but those are just my point of view, other may disagree at will :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off-road, rally, touring, wtcc, giza, brno, tropical island, tom coronel, dakar, dakar rally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users