Honda_SuperGT_Side.png

Honda_SuperGT_RearThreeQuater.png

Top Speed: 203 MPH
0-60: 3.3 Seconds
Horsepower: 500 @ 8100 RPM
Torque: 488 @ 6000 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Semiautomatic
Drivetrain: RWD

Honda’s representative in the 16th season of the Japan Automobile Federation Super GT Championship, the 2009 NSX GT500 competed in the top class of Super GT racing for the 13th straight campaign. A heavily-modified version of Honda’s breakthrough NSX sports car, it continued to be produced a full four years after the road car had been replaced on the production lines.

It first appeared in GT500 in 1997 and over the subsequent 13 years competed against other racing legends including the Nissan Skyline, Nissan GT-R, Toyota Supra and McLaren F1 GTR (the design of which it greatly influenced). During that time it racked up 50 poles, 37 race wins and carried off two Drivers’ Championships and two Team Championships.

The 2009 season yielded two race victories, with the #8 ARTA NSX triumphing at Mt. Fuji and Motegi. While the car’s drivers, Ralph Firman and Takuya Izawa, fell 7 points short of giving the NSX the ultimate Super GT send off, their Motegi win did ensure the car prevailed in its final outing.

To own a colossus of Japanese GT racing, download the 2009 Honda NSX GT500 now on Simraceway.

Honda_SuperGT_Top.png

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#2 Clemsie McKenzie

Clemsie McKenzie

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 224 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

Test Drive Tuesday review: 2009 Honda NSX GT500

05/05/2015

Legendary on the road, the Honda NSX was no less iconic on the racetracks, especially in Japan. A deeply modified version of the car competed in Super GT’s top class for 13 consecutive years, claiming 50 poles, 37 wins and 2 championship titles. The very permissive Super GT rules, which we already discussed before, meant that the NSX could compete 4 years after its road-going counterpart retired, and it was only when a change in regulation banned rear-engined cars that it had to be replaced. A race version of the 2015 NSX will compete in next year’s championship, reigniting the legend.

Bearing only vestigial physical resemblance with the street legal NSX, the 2009 Super GT car sports a turbocharged V6 and a carbon-reinforced aluminium chassis. As is the rule for the GT500 class, it has an output of around 500 bhp.

Having driven its successor a few weeks ago, I expected a lot from this car. I wanted it to be a rear-engined version of the HSV, because I truly loved that car. I loved how nimble, light and grippy it was, I loved the noise, and I made a strong connection with this car.

But the NSX is not the HSV. It’s simply not as good.

Maybe it was my fault, maybe I expected too much of it, and I probably shouldn’t have asked it to be as good as the best GT car out there. But over the course of this TdT, I failed to connect with the NSX.

I could not get any feel from the front-end. It lacks of bite in corner entry, and a bit of understeer remains until the exit. And the rearward balance of the car means it can be tricky to trail-brake it to fight that understeer. The brakes are very good though, which is always greatly appreciated.

Traction is good enough, but it can slip unexpectedly out of slow turns. You can catch it if you’re quick, and it won’t happen at higher speeds thanks to the aero, but I’m sure it will take some by surprise. I kinda like the rear-end though, because it is more communicative than the front. But I think the main problem with this car is that front and back axles don’t really seem to be linked. And as a result, it can be quite difficult to drive it quickly and consistently.

I’m not saying it’s a bad car. It still feels pretty light, it’s quick and is an interesting alternative to the GT3s. But real issue with the NSX is its younger sister, the HSV. You see, the HSV is better in every single point: handling, compliance, speed, noise and even pricing. Sure, the NSX has got that icon status that brings an aura that the HSV will never have.

But apart from Super GT die-hard fans, I don’t see who would buy the 2009 NSX over the 2010 HSV. Again, it’s a good car, but never a match for its truly outstanding little sister.

Here is the link to the Test Drive Tuesday Leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

SQ currently around: 875 - car collection: 55 (Gotta catch them all!) - ingame ID: RAFU_Alonso

The link to the Test Drive Tuesday cars leaderboards: https://goo.gl/ATr6mF

#3 DR3D9

DR3D9

Semi-Pro

• 101 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

csr-s4-sen480-ff60

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2009, honda, nsx, gt500, honda nsx, honda nsx gt500, 2009 honda nsx gt500, super gt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users