• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 clark10

clark10

Semi-Pro

• 178 posts
  • LocationChampagne - France

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

All my throughs are with Jules Bianchi and his family.

It's a shame

Keep fighting

Attached File  images.jpeg   9.01KB   0 downloadsAttached File  images.jpeg   9.01KB   0 downloads

SQ : 922 / Miles raced : 83 682 / Car owned : 118 / Favorite : Maserati Tipo Birdcage

Member since 2008. My car collection  : http://bit.ly/1JcnCdQ

#2 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke, Hampshire

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

+1
SQ 890 Miles raced: 25k+ Total points: 35k+ Cars:64

#3 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

+1.

A nasty set of circumstances all coming together which may never be seen again, but which must now be considered as a possibility, necessitating investigations into other recovery options.

A great many people are citing a similar incident from the Suzuka GP of 20yrs ago, but I can remember the 2003 Brazillian GP when Michael Schumacher spun off really close to a recovery crane and everyone said "That was lucky" and carried on as normal. Just think if he'd spun a little later round the corner, or if the others had come to rest a little further 'up-track'...

Watch this from 30secs and you'll see what I mean...

As an aside I wonder what all those who repeatedly say "Monaco 1984 was stopped too early" are saying? It's relevant because a number of people are saying (with hindsight of course) that this GP was stopped too late.

#4 clark10

clark10

Semi-Pro

• 178 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

Nurburgring 2007

to watch from 1:04

especially at 2:18 ==> exactly same kind of issue hopefully without damage

NO LESSONS LEARNED

SQ : 922 / Miles raced : 83 682 / Car owned : 118 / Favorite : Maserati Tipo Birdcage

#5 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

NO LESSONS LEARNED

Jacques Villeneuve:

While the safety car was sent out on track following Bianchi's crash, Villeneuve believes that it should have been deployed as soon as Sutil's car needed recovering.

"The rules have to be changed concerning the safety car," said the 1997 world champion. "When I was racing, and afterwards, I was always saying that any time there is an accident there should be a safety car. There should not be room for judgment. If someone has to go out to pick up a car stranded on the track, it's simple. Accident - safety car, and that's it. It should have been like that for years. America has had that forever."

Video of the crash, and the green (wtf?) flag that was waving:

smilie_shake_head.gif

#6 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Is it not obvious what should be done? Apart from releasing the safety car for EVERY incident (don't like that) should the cranes and tractors not be modified to completely eradicate ANY risk of decapitation? It would not be hard to have a metal 'skirt' around such vehicles. We can never make motorsport completely safe, and I'm still not even sure we should (controversial i know) but a simple thing like tractor skirts would eliminate this particular risk. Cost would be minimal compared to the safety gain..... Discuss.... :ph34r:

#7 clark10

clark10

Semi-Pro

• 178 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:22 PM

The best already exist in monaco : systems or cranes able to handle cars from behind tires wall or you are right Dude74 tire made skirt when no choice for specials véhicules

#8 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

Jacques Villeneuve:

While the safety car was sent out on track following Bianchi's crash, Villeneuve believes that it should have been deployed as soon as Sutil's car needed recovering.

"The rules have to be changed concerning the safety car," said the 1997 world champion. "When I was racing, and afterwards, I was always saying that any time there is an accident there should be a safety car. There should not be room for judgment. If someone has to go out to pick up a car stranded on the track, it's simple. Accident - safety car, and that's it. It should have been like that for years. America has had that forever."

Video of the crash, and the green (wtf?) flag that was waving:

smilie_shake_head.gif

That is just horrific.

#9 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

The green flag was being waved to indicate that the following sector was clear. It could hardly be classed as misleading as if you see the flag you can't miss the wreckage.

Bianchi went off under double-waved yellow flags, how much slower are drivers required to go behind the safety car? It's all very well saying in hindsight that it should have been deplyed, but would having the S/C out actually have made a quantifiable difference to the severity of the accident? F1 cars still aquaplane (if that was the cause) behind the S/C after all.

Deployable skirts on the cranes might help in so much as in this case the deformable nose would have taken the impact rather than (it appears to me) either the left body work and / or the fixed roll-hoop above Bianchi's head. Depending on how the tractors and cranes are used during the rest of the year any such mod must be fully reversible as skirts would adversely affect the vehicles ground clearance.

Hopefully the resulting investigation will come up with some useful guidelines for future incidents.

#10 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

bianchicrash_zpsdb92c16c.jpg

Cant see how this could end well. :(

#11 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

deleted

#12 fauxname

fauxname

Novice

• 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:22 PM

One thing I find strange is the manner in which Bianchi went off, high speed with no apparent spin. If the tractor had not been there, he would have hit the wall straight on. He may not have suffered the diffuse axonal injury, but he still could have been seriously injured.

#13 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

One thing I find strange is the manner in which Bianchi went off, high speed with no apparent spin. If the tractor had not been there, he would have hit the wall straight on. He may not have suffered the diffuse axonal injury, but he still could have been seriously injured.

Modern (drive by wire) equivalent of a jammed throttle?

#14 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

aquaplaning on constant radius corner = you just go off in straight line, no steering or brakes.

#15 Demitri

Demitri

Seasoned

• 88 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

https://www.facebook...106786372683524

A very sad day for all of motorsports. R.I.P. Jules. :(

My SQ: 870-ish

My car collection: 102 cars

My wheel: Logitech G27

#16 clark10

clark10

Semi-Pro

• 178 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

So sad...very bad day. R.I.P. Jules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users