10 replies to this topic

#1 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

Ok, so there are a few annoying bugs:

BMW 1M at lime rock, ABS HIGH,  still can lock up the front wheels, and car will not steer and go straight.

Sorry SRW, but ABS means no lock up, especially on a BMW of this generation. 

No excuse for that, and the brake balance looks normal. 

Had the same problem with other cars- but Coss said "not all ABS works that way".  Fine but on a BMW 1M with top notch ABS, I DONT THINK SO!  Even a low end BMW 3 series from 2001 doesn't lock up the front wheels.  I've also driven a 2012 BMW M3 on a track, and same thing, ABS won't let you lock up wheels.

So why is ABS not ABS on some cars, and in this case a car that HAS GREAT ABS IN REAL LIFE??!?!?

I like using UPSHIFT on (to not miss a shift), but upshift manually with paddles (and downshift paddles too).

Various cars, arbitraily have this bug where using upshift, you CANNOT MANUALLY UPSHIFT:

I thought it was only the older cars, like Evo, F3.

But just experienced it in the BMW 1M!!!!  Why?!?!

It helps to have upshift on, the shifting is crisper than auto clutch.  Also auto clutch off is quick, but not wise because it makes the rear end unstable!

List of cars encountered that lock out paddle use when in auto or upshift mode:

There are a couple more that I cannot recall.

Evo X

F3

MR2

BMW 1M

added; Golf R

added;  Jaguar XKR

added; 2005 Maserati Stradale

added; 2012 ford mustang boss

added; mazda furai

If this is intended, why are these (and some others) chosen???  IT MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE!

Edited by robnitro, 08 February 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#2 Tbolt

Tbolt

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 734 posts
  • LocationHorley, England.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

That's the whole point of ABS on a road car, if you need to stop quickly you are meant to just push the pedal down hard and the car should bring you to a nice quick stop without locking up and you should be able to steering the car while do so on a modern car.

SQ - 969

Cars Owned - 108

Miles Raced - 86,710

#3 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:44 AM

Added cars that don't let you use paddles in upshift or auto mode:

Golf R

Jaguar XKR

Really, I've been in a BMW M5 ,M3, and VW Golf/Jetta paddle shift car, in auto mode you can force an upshift or a downshift (if the computer allows it due to rpm- so it won't blow the motor or lug it).

The ABS thing though, is not acceptable... the old excuse of how those cars (like the F1-29, F1 MP4-oldie) locking up front wheels might be ok.

But BMW 1m has factory abs... sigh, fallen on deaf ears, lol

#4 gymwhaley

gymwhaley

Novice

• 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:08 AM

:(

#5 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:22 AM

Still annoying and unexplained.

Why why why

set auto or upshift or downshift mode, I cannot manually change gears in the car?

I prefer the smoothness of the auto/upshift mode than using OFF with auto clutch (which is really not how the cars with paddle shifters shift in real life- like the XKR etc).

Blah, please- is it that hard to allow any car to have shifting override in the auto or upshift mode?

#6 Kobayashi10

Kobayashi10

Pro

• Community Champion
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

Blah, please- is it that hard to allow any car to have shifting override in the auto or upshift mode?

It boggles my mind why some race cars like the F3 and the Viper ACR-X don't allow manual override.

And then there's the weird case of launch control.  Why would any street car, except for a few supercars that actually have them in real life, have launch control?  And why do some race cars not have launch control, when there are street cars that have them in-game but not IRL?

#7 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

I know paddle shifter cars have LC, like the BMW M5 v10 a friend has...

But yeah, the honda racers don't have LC???

#8 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:54 AM

(EDIT: spam removed in previous post)

Just a reminder,

way back srw had an rx8 that even with ABS would lock the rear and spin out. I assure you if that were the street car, Madza would have had to recall it.  It was later fixed in SRW.  No problem, that was years ago.

More recently, (about a year ago?) the caterham, ABS full, locks tires even on 1/3 braking into a corner.  I was told this is normal at the time.  Check the caterham now, its fine and very driveable even to keyboard players.

So just to say, that the car models do have glitches and the point of a BETA is to have feedback in order to IMPROVE the game.

Not excuse it and fix it undercover.

Just so you know, I run a lot of open source software.  Sure, there are bugs, but at least the devs respond to it and acknowledge what was wrong and fix it.  I would respect that here, if it happened more often.

The BMW 1m locking front wheels with ABS on, thats an outright UNREALISTIC bug.  But how come I was told by Coss that this was intended?  I thought the intention of SRW is realism in motorsport?  I don't like to be told realism is the goal and then when realism doesn't match the status quo, it's intended.  Sorry Coss, but this upset me to this day.  I understand company policy could be to never admit a problem, but it's not a good way to keep the dedicated racers around... we can smell the junk from a mile away lol.

I'm glad that this forum allows for such discussion though.  I recently had an issue with assetto's AI and was quickly flamed/trolled to the point where I didn't even bother posting anymore, because the goal doesn't seem to be fixing issues by the members there.

SRW has 10x better members

Edited by robnitro, 03 December 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#9 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

New car, which I don't recall having wheels locking up with abs high...

FURAI. 

I was changing the balance during the race to try to stop the locking and either front or rear locks.  I don't think this is proper for a car made after 2000... where 4 channel abs is already commonplace and very reliable.

#10 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

ANOTHER car with this ABS that doesn't work.

Please don't tell me it is by design, this is supposed to be a SIM.

2005 Maserati Stradale,  it's really high tech but somehow the front wheels lock up with abs high or even sc on.  I'm not turning hard, just slight turn in where I start to release the brakes.  Well whatever, you will say it is by design and I will just come here to set lap times and not come here to feel like I am really driving a factory maserati.

And btw, there is no adjustment for brake pressure.  So, well, its going to either lock the front or rear depending on balance.  But IT SHOULD NOT with ABS... ABS means small tiny lockups....

Cars these days have their braking systems designed to use ABS.  In fact, a lot of times, disabling them causes issues as in Audi's/VW's, you pull the ABS fuse and the rears lock up due to not having a physical brake balancing valve.  It is ALL DONE BY THE ABS PUMP AND ITS PASSAGES.  So, to drive an old car with TC/ABS is unreal, so is driving a modern supercar WITHOUT ABS.  Some supercars don't even let you fully disable TC, watch Top Gear and see lol.

Another good analogy is a modern fighter jet, let's say  the F16, without computers it is pretty much unflyable, too much instability that goes so fast not even the best pilot can react.  The older planes were very flyable manually, but only because they were slower reacting planes.  Push the limit and things are INHUMAN. lol

Here's something that I learned from a wise old person in the AC forums.  I am paraphrasing here, but I can find the post if you want.

The rf2/ac engines are very much physics dependent, crazy calculations for tire models and flex etc.

RF1 engine (like srw's gmotor engine), it is very dependent on who sets up the car parameters.   So, ideally that would mean that TESTING and FEEDBACK is important in order to tweak the car for most realistic physics.

So please, I will not accept "it was designed that way".  Remember many years ago the RX8 was locking up the rear and spinning, the caterham too.  They were fixed after much complaining.  Now the BMW 1m , FURAI, Maserati are not obeying the simple rules, ABS will not keep a wheel locked .

#11 robnitro

robnitro

Semi-Pro

• 219 posts
  • LocationNYC area

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

This is really not realistic.  4 channel ABS on modern cars means that the abs pump can prevent lockup on a single wheel.

The 2012 ford mustang boss, locks the front  inside wheel with abs high and even sc low or high.

This is something that I don't like... like the BMW etc.

If you want to make a car realistic, the assists should be realistic too because driving that car in real life would not lock the inside wheel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users