Photo

(Gas) pedal foot position

gas brake clutch pedal foot position toe heel

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Foot position (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Foot position

1. A (31 votes [93.94%])

Percentage of vote: 93.94%

2. B (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 680 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

seriously A

#22 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 680 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

I have to think about the brake pedal thing,  can't remember till I actually drive.  Interesting.  It's a natural thing, do you really think about walking or drinking water?  I might fall down ... and drown all at the same time.

#23 Elsydon

Elsydon

Semi-Pro

• 132 posts
  • LocationCastleside UK

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

Wow i have always used B: Heel & Toe with the heel of the right foot rigit, i just rock my foot left to right or visa versa, I also used to double the clutch in between changing gear before the days of modern gearboxes made changing a much smoother action. Mind we Brits drive on the correct side of the road the Left Side:OOOOaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :rolleyes:​​

Cheers

Bob R ( RAF_Elsydon)

#24 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 680 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

left side?  of the road?  people drive there?

My dad got yelled at twice in the same roundabout in Canada and we were on right side roads, I laughed.  I told him the guy yelling FU was actually French for have a nice day friend.

Can't imagine if we had to drive on the wrong side.

#25 Elsydon

Elsydon

Semi-Pro

• 132 posts
  • LocationCastleside UK

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

I tell you what !!!!!! when i was in the States i found driving on the *Wrong* side of the road fun, it was a change, but i got used to it pretty quickly, we have that many small B roads in the UK, there is no right or left lane, you just drive down the middle, then go left or right when someone approaches  you, somehow we always make the correct choice. :ph34r:

Cheers

Bob R ( RAF_Elsydon)

#26 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

...we have that many small B roads in the UK, there is no right or left lane, you just drive down the middle, then go left or right when someone approaches  you, somehow we always make the correct choice. :ph34r:

:) The only bad thing about country lanes are the off-roaders who refuse to go off-road to give anyone a chance to go past and the annoyingly large percentage who can't use reverse gear to get to the nearest passing point.

#27 Elsydon

Elsydon

Semi-Pro

• 132 posts
  • LocationCastleside UK

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Yes Rolo,you do get some drivers who don't know what to do in that situation, and just sit in the middle of the road and stare at you, but you will be pleased to know i'm not one of them, i've been practicing for 52 years.  :rolleyes: ​ 

Cheers

Bob R ( RAF_Elsydon)

#28 Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

Yes Rolo,you do get some drivers who don't know what to do in that situation, and just sit in the middle of the road and stare at you, but you will be pleased to know i'm not one of them, i've been practicing for 52 years.  :rolleyes: ​ 

Wow, I've only been practicing for around 23yrs :) 

#29 Elsydon

Elsydon

Semi-Pro

• 132 posts
  • LocationCastleside UK

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

Well i thought like almost everyone on here i would keep my age a secret, but i have given a good clue i was 20 when i passed my test :rolleyes: ​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Bob R ( RAF_Elsydon)

#30 Reno

Reno

Semi-Pro

• 106 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

A

Because less contact between the pedal and the foot = less friction = the foot slides easily on the pedal.

Because this: https://fr.wikipedia...ctiligne_p.jpg

or this: https://fr.wikipedia...rectiligne.jpg

allows a better rotational movement than this: https://fr.wikipedia...pui_plan_p.jpg

or this: https://fr.wikipedia...le:3d_plan.jpg

(I'm ashamed I can't find the actual English terms for these elementary mechanical linkages I've studied in school for years, knowing all their degrees of freedom and all... but in my native language. My apologies for the lack of technical accuracy.)

Other reason: the more 'open' angle given to the ankle reduces the muscular and articular stress -at least for me, results may vary with another test subject.

Subsidiary reason: as mentioned by another participant, it may be caused by a go-kart education with fifteen years of regular training.

Maybe there is something more important than just winning races. (Mark Donohue)
All race drivers return to the obscurity they came from. (Mark Donohue)

A noi date vittoria e poi l'eterna gloria in paradisu.

#31 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 680 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

Elsydon I am 58 but I have talked to racers from 15 to 72 on here.  That's what makes it beautiful.  I have also had my ass kicked by two girls.  Not at the same time.  :)

#32 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 680 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:37 AM

Also I like to drive in sox or thin leather moccasins

now back to you for traffic report

#33 Elsydon

Elsydon

Semi-Pro

• 132 posts
  • LocationCastleside UK

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

A

Because less contact between the pedal and the foot = less friction = the foot slides easily on the pedal.

Because this: https://fr.wikipedia...ctiligne_p.jpg

or this: https://fr.wikipedia...rectiligne.jpg

allows a better rotational movement than this: https://fr.wikipedia...pui_plan_p.jpg

or this: https://fr.wikipedia...le:3d_plan.jpg

(I'm ashamed I can't find the actual English terms for these elementary mechanical linkages I've studied in school for years, knowing all their degrees of freedom and all... but in my native language. My apologies for the lack of technical accuracy.)

Other reason: the more 'open' angle given to the ankle reduces the muscular and articular stress -at least for me, results may vary with another test subject.

Subsidiary reason: as mentioned by another participant, it may be caused by a go-kart education with fifteen years of regular training.

It also easily slips off the pedal. <_<

Cheers

Bob R ( RAF_Elsydon)

#34 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 680 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

Right thumb toe on the gas pedal and the left foot palm on the brake, auto clutch here.  Paddle shifters except on some vintage cars for the giggles.

#35 Reno

Reno

Semi-Pro

• 106 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:12 PM

It also easily slips off the pedal. <_<

Thus the importance of a good footwear :)

#36 Fettuccine

Fettuccine

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 680 posts
  • Locationplanet ohio

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

cotton sox and Tandy moccasin's are my racing footwear of choice, the suede ish ones with no plastic sole.

#37 Reno

Reno

Semi-Pro

• 106 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

I use a pair of slippers, the kind they give you in hotel rooms. They are extremely light, with a terry cloth on the inside so your feet can breathe and remain dry, and the sole is made of a thin but solid rubber, which allows you to accurately feel the pedal position without tiring the sole of your feet.

#38 Elsydon

Elsydon

Semi-Pro

• 132 posts
  • LocationCastleside UK

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:15 PM

Gotta spare pair reno :wacko:

Cheers

Bob R ( RAF_Elsydon)

#39 Dude74

Dude74

Crew Chief

• Community Champion
  • 653 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke, Hampshire

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

Loving this thread. You guys are funny. :)

I can't wear any shoes when on my G25. Just doesn't feel right. Just socks for me ;)

Guess I'm the whipper snapper at 17 years on the road, lol. Passed in 98. Oh and I'm 41 this month seeing as were sharing....

SQ 890 Miles raced: 25k+ Total points: 35k+ Cars:64

#40 Reno

Reno

Semi-Pro

• 106 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

Loving this thread. You guys are funny. :)

I wasn't joking :D

Gotta spare pair reno :wacko:

Get yourself invited in a 4-star hotel, you're almost sure to find a pair of slippers :D But beware, there are different types of hotel slippers! Chose your hotel wisely :P

I can't wear any shoes when on my G25. Just doesn't feel right. Just socks for me ;)

The sole of your feet may suffer from the constant slip against the pedal, depsite the socks. I recommend a pair of hotel slippers with a soft thin sole :D

People usually show they race gear in the forum, their wheel, their customized seat, etc. Some day I'll take a pic of my feet with the slippers on. Because the years I've spent around the go-kart tracks taught me something: the guy with the Sparco shoes and gloves isn't necessarily the fastest... which was a relief for a poor kid like me, with cheap sneakers, old motorcycle gloves, worn off pants and a free promotional t-shirt -the kind of clothes you're not afraid to get dirty and stinky. It was my secret pleasure to beat the geardos ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas, brake, clutch, pedal, foot, position, toe, heel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users