6 replies to this topic

#1 SRW_Joseph

SRW_Joseph

CSR

• 26 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:23 AM

Hey Fellow Race Fans, 

This thread will cover using the MOUSE as a controller in Simraceway.

First off select MOUSE/KEYBOARD from the mapping profile selector:
Attached File  Mouse Steering-mapping profile.jpg   44.09KB   11 downloads

As you see from the above screenshot you select MOUSE/KEYBOARD from the Mapping Profile selector in the OPTIONS>CONTROLS Menu to enable Mouse Steering (red arrow)  You can see the steering axis is now Mouse X- & Mouse X+ by default (green arrows)  Please note that THROTTLE & BRAKE are Mouse1 & Mouse2 by default now. (orange arrows) You may wish to change some of these mappings as you see fit.  Once you have a mapping profile you like, please save it by clicking SAVE and creating a name for the profile. This way the game will save these settings for future use.

The last tab in the controls menu is MOUSE

Attached File  Mouse Steering-mouse tab.png   127.73KB   12 downloads

Here is a rundown of the settings sliders, and what they do:
Auto Center:
This feature allows the steering wheel to turn back to center while using a mouse.  
This only happens while the player is driving in a straight line and never while negotiating a turn.
This feature is needed as mouse control tends to be difficult to “re-center” the wheel upon exiting turns. 
This feature is toggled on or off with a tick box.
Auto Center Time Interval:
Sets the amount of delay before auto centering activates after a turn or the mouse ceases movement.
Auto Center Rate:
Sets how aggressively the wheel returns to its center position.
Ease-in Time:
Sets how much time the auto center feature should wait after the player’s last input before activating.
Vehicle Minimum Speed:
Sets the minimum speed at which auto centering will work.  
The lowest speed limit this speed will work is 30 mph.
Straight Road Look Ahead Distance:
Sets the distance at which the auto center feature looks ahead of the player to determine if the road is straight.
This is distance is measured in waypoints.

At this stage of our Mouse Steering development, the STEERING SENSITIVITY is controlled by the mouse wheel, and therefore Steering Sensitivity cannot be saved into a user created mapping profile.  We hope to correct this in a future build.  Adjusting the steering sensitivity by rolling the mouse wheel forward till you see 0.875 to 0.900 will give an effective range of steering for the average DPI mouse.  If you have a high DPI gaming mouse, you might try either lowering the DPI settings for the mouse itself, or simply roll the mouse wheel backwards till you reach a comfortable steering sensitivity setting.  Remember this setting for future use in other cars and on other tracks, as again, the steering sensitivity setting cannot be saved at this point of development.

Also the "Steering Position Indicator" (small white bar showing steering position in the HUD) can now be toggled off if you like.  You will find the tick box in the VIDEO heading of the Options menu. This feature can really help you visualize how much your front wheels are turning in relation to your inputs with the mouse.

Please post your thoughts, comments and suggestions below.

Fast Laps,

Joseph Loewinsohn
Simraceway Support
San Francisco, California

#2 AldoBrezenti

AldoBrezenti

Contributor

• 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

I would like to thank both mouse steering itself being implemented into the game and this useful description of how to set up this 'controller'.

I've used mouse steering in other titles too and I liked it earlier, and it turned out that it would be a great option to me because I am rather a casual player now (family has a much higher priority), so I packed my wheels and pedals and looked for this way of driving the cars.

When I first tried it in Simraceway I was disappointed because it felt 'clumsy' to drive with a mouse, although I was pretty good some years ago in other racing sims. Then I've read this description and it drew my attention to the possibility of altering the sensitivity by the mouse wheel.

Now, the whole game changed a lot. It feels natural to control the car with the mouse. I've set the sensitivity to .850 and it gives me a precise control. I've tweaked the Auto Center settings to my liking (basically almost all slider are set to the mid position except the minimum speed which is 60 mph now, and the last setting which I left at the default position). In spite you warned us that the sensitivity won't be saved, my setting had not changed throughout the different sessions. If it switches back to the default settings, when I restart the game, then it is not a big deal to spin the mousewheel once during a practice session or a warmup.

Thank you for this useful method, I already love it as is!

Cheers!

#3 voth

voth

Novice

• 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

great stuff that mouse steering is supported.

personally i am not using the auto-center feature though

i am also still wondering what the reason might have been that the possibilty of using mouse y-axes for accel/brake has been removed.

would be nice if this would return with an option to see the mouse courser as a crosshair on screen (like in fsx mouse control)

#4 j_smith

j_smith

Semi-Pro

• 159 posts
  • Facebook:Tsukki.Zakki
  • Twitter:Jezzay86
  • LocationCayman Islands

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

While that is a good idea I don't think it would be a good system to use, because you wont be able to accurately go from full throttle to full braking very quickly, and it really would slow you down, a lot more than having the mouse buttons as throttle and brake,

I believe you should be able to adjust the sensitivity and progression of the throttle and brakes so that when clicking it is not an instant 100% throttle or 100% brakes.

If I recall correctly you should be able to get the throttle to quickly but smoothly progress from 0 to 100%, instead of an instant 0 to 100%, acting like an on off switch.

Unfortunately I cannot remember which setting changes this, but i believe it could be under "rates" the best thing i can recommend, is to experiment, to find the settings that best suit you.

#5 CrasHMF

CrasHMF

Seasoned

• 99 posts
  • LocationBraga, Portugal

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I'm usinh acelaration and brake rates between 15 and 25 (depends on the car) and you have a progressive throttle (with some repetitive cliks :P )

Miguel Freitas - CrasHMF

Portugal

#6 mdbobbo

mdbobbo

Contributor

• 2 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:13 AM

mouse throttle and brakes should not be a buttoned control. 100% on or 100% off.

for full control of the vehicle with the mouse please consider the features used with RACER by Ruud van Gaal

excellerate = move mouse up (forward)
deexcellerate/brake = move mouse down (backwards)
turn left = move mouse left
turn right = move mouse right
upchange gear = mouse left button
downchange gear = mouse right button

gear changes should be reversable for left handed mouse users also!

mdbobbo stands for Mad Dog Bobbo because I'm mad about getting computing right for everyone

accentuate the positive when it's the positive we really need

#7 RaZ#

RaZ#

Novice

• 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

At this stage of our Mouse Steering development, the STEERING SENSITIVITY is controlled by the mouse wheel, and therefore Steering Sensitivity cannot be saved into a user created mapping profile.  We hope to correct this in a future build.  Adjusting the steering sensitivity by rolling the mouse wheel forward till you see 0.875 to 0.900 will give an effective range of steering for the average DPI mouse.  If you have a high DPI gaming mouse, you might try either lowering the DPI settings for the mouse itself, or simply roll the mouse wheel backwards till you reach a comfortable steering sensitivity setting.  Remember this setting for future use in other cars and on other tracks, as again, the steering sensitivity setting cannot be saved at this point of development.

May i know how can i do this ? because i cant find anywhere to put a 0.xxx sensivity in the controls and the mouse feels so slow and doesnt turn well

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mouse, controller, setup, techniques, mouse steering, mouse control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users