Photo

Simraceway Race to the Weekend and Sunday Race-Off 48

rttw48sq rttw48evo sro48sq sro48evo skillquant formula renault 3.5 mitsubishi evolution x watkins glen

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

It's been nearly a year (a couple days away from now) since our first Race to the Weekend and Sunday Race-OffLots of truly incredible races happend over that time. Make sure to check this thread and look back at the early days.

Unfortunately, we cannot celebrate this anniversary on the exact day of it, because it's already reserved for McLaren MP4-28 at Circuit of the Americas, so instead we'll do some of it this week. Formula 3 has been upgraded to it's faster sister, the Renault 3.5 and we are moving back to Watkins Glen Long - a track that hosted the first edition  :)

All details of Race to the Weekend and Sunday Race-Offs 48 are posted in the threads listed below:

Race to the Weekend and Sunday Race-Off 48 SQ 500-700

Race to the Weekend and Sunday Race-Off 48 SQ 700-800

Race to the Weekend and Sunday Race-Off 48 SQ 800-900

Race to the Weekend and Sunday Race-Off 48 SQ 900-1100

and the supporting event:

Race to the Weekend 48 Evo

Main difference from previous week is no Open Setup event running parallel to the regular ones. We have tried it in 5 editions and it was the right time to take a break. There are several reasons behind it, which I'm sure most of you are aware of. 

Other than the above, we continue to do a Challenge format in supporting event, but switched back to Hot Laps in the main ones. With one new addition - sessions are now open, so you will see each other on the track and be able to interact. That doesn't mean Challenge idea for the main event will be dropped completely, but it was probably a too radical move directly from Hot Laps to Challenges, without trying this open session Hot Lap before. 

As always - all kind of opinions are welcome!

Best of luck dudes  B)

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#2 azbest

azbest

Seasoned

• 53 posts
  • LocationPoland, Wroclaw

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

If there is no open setup it should be 900-1000 and 1000-1100 class IMO.

#3 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts
  • Facebook:Risto Kappet

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for making the threads in the right time coss

- Launger

#4 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

On an isolated occasion i dont miss the open setup because for once the default setup is decent :) Only problem is that the track is very bumpy and the car often bottoms out, maybe the ride height could be higher but doesnt matter, as usual for watkins you have to drive the smoothest line not ideal line anyway

Not sure why the hotlap event is open session though... 3/4 of the reason challenge was disliked was because there were people blocking and distracting you and now you put the same feature on hotlaps....

- Launger

#5 freggel

freggel

Seasoned

• 93 posts
  • LocationKatwijk, The Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

If there is no open setup it should be 900-1000 and 1000-1100 class IMO.

That's exactly what i thought!

#6 azbest

azbest

Seasoned

• 53 posts
  • LocationPoland, Wroclaw

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for making the threads in the right time coss

Yeah... thx Coss ! It is nice suprise for me to be honest :)

#7 Br3nor

Br3nor

Novice

• 13 posts
  • LocationDabas, Hungary

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

yeah, Azbest's right. We are too many with 900+ SQ.

#8 Daniel Cziranku

Daniel Cziranku

Semi-Pro

• Banned
  • 210 posts
  • Facebook:Daniel_C
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm skipping this one I think. It seems only I have problems with this setup. Somehow everyone likes it. However, i can't feel the car's balance, weight and grip limits. Same setup like Brno, same result like Brno.
In this case I would join OPEN, a dnf worths more for me than completing the race in regular. but since it's off, there are no other options left for me. 1 setup per car per all tracks doesn't make sense to me anyway.
No offense, this is my opinion.
Hope the arcade setup works out well for everyone, and it reduces number of accidents. Great combo though, i'd never miss it in other circumstances. 

"Professional is not a level. It is a state of mind."

#9 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Btw i would like to repeat what i wrote to the F3.5 forum and SRW ignored - the huge pole on the nose is very distracting and unrealistlic. If you watch pictures of formula renault then they mostly haven othing on the nose, if anything than a small antenna, not a pike 1/5 width of the whole nose. I get pain in my eyes unless i rise the cockpit view maximum height on which its unrealistlic...

- Launger

#10 acerockolla

acerockolla

Seasoned

• 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Not having virtual mirrors in the cockpit is a bit of a nuisance as well.

#11 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

Not having virtual mirrors in the cockpit is a bit of a nuisance as well.

I think its important for SRW to stay true to this feature that has defined them and existed as long as the game itself.

Thanks to this its easy to respond when people ask what is SRW, i just say its rfactor without virtual mirrors in cockpit :)

And one more things regarding the open session, people joining the track and server cause big lagspikes which have already ruined more than 1 lap. Not a good change.

- Launger

#12 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have to make something clear, regarding the virtual mirrors and this is probably a good occasion.

As you know, I always race with a cockpit camera and it's been like that ever since I started simracing. There are several advantages of using bonnet camera, like better vision or middle seating position regardless of the car type, which both definitely help to find some extra time. It was always a tempting perspective, as I usually operated in a very competitive environment, but I never moved to it.

The biggest advantage though is in Simraceway, where virtual mirrors are exclusively available in every camera, apart from the cockpit one. That still didnt convince me and I stayed faithful to my cockpit view, and learned to use Look Back instead. Which is not ideal and doesnt allow me to maintain close, door to door battles like I could before.

So why do I mention all this? Because I'm in the group of drivers who took the strongest hit, because of lack of virtual mirrors in the cockpit (or anything else related to limited vision, like tinted windows)

In other words, I'm your ambassador in this topic and did everything I could to help getting this fixed, but nothing worked. Engineers managed to restore the side mirrors, but not the most important one, so middle in the cockpit. In fact, we should never release these mirrors like they are now, without having the middle one fixed, but it happend. 

Regarding the antenna - not ideal, but not unrealistic. There are various girths of antennas being used, along with many other things that limit your vision in real racing.

By the way, most important part of the real racing is ability to adapt to the conditions, before actually getting into speed and racing. I keep that in mind and try to complain only when it gets really impossible to adapt. I mean really, really impossible.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#13 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Very honest and good reply, but borderline still is, that you guys would get the virtual mirrors done if you only knew how?  thats funny.

Ok if i had oculus rift then i wouldnt want any HUD, i could glance at the mirror while still keeping one eye on the road. Or if i had 3 screens i could do the same with my real vision, but most people have single screen and clicking to look is very bad, last race with catherdams i messed up alot because i couldnt see who was behind me and if i pressed click to look (back) then it threw me off alot because the motion is not fluid and vision is then limited

And still, i searched internet and could not see any picture of F3.5 with more than an antenna, for example here is how rfactor2 shows it:

http://i1.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg

Very drivable :)

And if i could lower the view, i could see the real mirrors very well. Normally in open wheelers you dont even need virtual mirrors

- Launger

#14 Ragster

Ragster

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Please can we go back to hotlaps,i dont have the patients to do 10 trys to get these laps done,when im getting hit nearly every try..

#15 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Please can we go back to hotlaps,i dont have the patients to do 10 trys to get these laps done,when im getting hit nearly every try..

Ok Rags, thanks for the opinion. Please ask around, see what other Evo X participants think and let me know. I want to feel the problem.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#16 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Although the more i drive with open session, i enjoy it. Its very immersive and realistic to see cars also driving in the distance, and you get to practice wheel to wheel driving a bit, atleast you see how the cars behave visually relative to each other, and atleast in my top SQ groups so far on the track everyone who is slower have been very nice to take next to the line and if not, then it has been an intresting few corners :) 

- Launger

#17 Ragster

Ragster

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Problem is the evo being a free car,this invite's all sort of racers which is great and just some plain idiots weaving all over the track,trying to keep the car in a straight line,and then the guys who hate being passed so they ram you for it.

Well i put down a time,not my quickest by far,but my patients is stretched at this point in time......

#18 supercar1

supercar1

supercar1

• Community Champion
  • 920 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

I will do this SRO  :D

I'm 6th for now.

Great combo!

I bought specially for this SRO the Renault, and it's so fast  :D And I love the downforce  :)

Pedro Ramos :D
Portugal

#19 Daniel Cziranku

Daniel Cziranku

Semi-Pro

• Banned
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Although the more i drive with open session, i enjoy it. Its very immersive and realistic to see cars also driving in the distance, and you get to practice wheel to wheel driving a bit, atleast you see how the cars behave visually relative to each other, and atleast in my top SQ groups so far on the track everyone who is slower have been very nice to take next to the line and if not, then it has been an intresting few corners :)

I had the same impression with fuel consumption turned on.
But then there is the question: why is 900-1000 eliminated ? They were the most competitive group, and now higher sq racers taking them out one by one. 500-700, 700-800 and 800-900 have less participants too, especially on sunday. This feels like a setback to me compared to the sq / open system we had before. 

By the way, most important part of the real racing is ability to adapt to the conditions, before actually getting into speed and racing. I keep that in mind and try to complain only when it gets really impossible to adapt. I mean really, really impossible.

I keep in mind the old saying: If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain.  

#20 Daniel Cziranku

Daniel Cziranku

Semi-Pro

• Banned
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

One more thing: closed setup events can't save my steering and brake settings, which are adjustable since a while now.
Besides the request for making it work, I would love to see 6hour long (or even longer) quali events. Making such a long distance between restarting sessions could eliminate the constant reloading of ghost cars. As you may know, you need to reconnect with the ghost feature everytime. (not mentioning you need to set your brake & steering values again)
These could make quali stints much more comfortable for us I think........or was that 2 things ? :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rttw48sq, rttw48evo, sro48sq, sro48evo, skillquant, formula renault 3.5, mitsubishi evolution x, watkins glen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users