• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

The number of series and leagues designed by you guys is growing and I believe there's a need to put stewarding (also mentioned as marshaling) into another stage.

As I see it, we should create 2 levels of stewarding. First one would be handled by the designer of series (for example RickSpeed, devilbevin or pilotapazzo), which would make all the initial decisions regarding incidents. Second level, represented by us/Simraceway staff, will be available to drivers who decide to question the decision of a first level steward. Every participant will be able to appeal directly to the second level at all times.

During the whole time situation will be constantly monitored, to ensure that everything is fair and kept within the boundaries of Simraceway T&Cs, but without any interference, unless there will be need.

What do you guys think about this idea? Share your opinions and concerns - let's discuss it.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#2 Bolinhas

Bolinhas

Semi-Pro

• Community Champion
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVila Nova de Gaia, Porto, Portugal, Europe :)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

As I see it, you are in reason. The person that ask for the event must be the person in charge of it.

And as we all know, you have a lot of work to be able to do it all, and we all know, or I think those that matter know, you are alone taking care of us.

So this is a great idea and I hope that you may put it up and running in good order :) .

We know that it will be awkward at the beginning until we get used to.

Now, just a little apart, the guy that asked for the event, is missing, how will it be?

Or will we have a new type of player that will do that on is absence ? Yes, will you SRW give some training to some players on stewarding? That may be needed.

Polka Dots :P

#3 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

As I see it, you are in reason. The person that ask for the event must be the person in charge of it.

And as we all know, you have a lot of work to be able to do it all, and we all know, or I think those that matter know, you are alone taking care of us.

So this is a great idea and I hope that you may put it up and running in good order :) .

We know that it will be awkward at the beginning until we get used to.

Now, just a little apart, the guy that asked for the event, is missing, how will it be?

Or will we have a new type of player that will do that on is absence ? Yes, will you SRW give some training to some players on stewarding? That may be needed.

Polka Dots :P

If you take a responsibility for series, then you have to be there or should delegate a properly qualified representative. That person will have to be accepted by the participants  :)

I'll be looking after all of these procedures as they happen.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#4 Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 507 posts
  • Facebook:Risto Kappet

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Good idea, but will have to be really strict. 

If any new series emerge, they should have same kind of presentation formatting and advertising as the weekend races.

There should be some interactive calendars, sign up lists etc etc. Just a few forum/chat posts wont provide the flow.

And on the stewarding side, i belive everything has to be done in this system: no live marshalling, but everyone has chances to make

charges after the race. In a long series, penalties are easier to make: you can choose from time penalties in that race or maybe starting

position penalties in the next race etc etc. But overall yes this 2 level thing could work.... if you guys are so reluctant not to expand your own employee base instead lol, it would really do the game good if you did.

BUT overall i see this as splitting from the game main purpose. If people want open servers, they can go to rfactor and pick from a million leagues there or other games. This sim should be in quite some bonds with the real centre, have a professional and reserved yet big employee base who plan everything ahead (not to insult rick, pilota etc who DO quality planning, but i can see many following with not so much depth) and design everything around the needs and plans of the real SRW centre. Then you can go back to your SRW racing centre and report: here is a list of championships and tables with the best simracers in them, all in order etc. Instead of telling them, that half of our content and effort is going into 100 street cars, drifting events and stuff aimed at 501 SQ keyboard players. I do hope most of your money comes from higher up, not younger players who buy 20 dollar cars and then dissapear... but thats more another topic that i just wanted to talk about lol

- Launger

#5 devilbevin

devilbevin

Semi-Pro

• 134 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

Definitely the most sensible way to go. I feel I know enough about racing to make those decisions so no need for training. The racing in the first two races has been very clean so I don't think there will be many decisions to make anyway. 

A very important question:

Coss, will you continue to be there at the start of every race? If not, how can we implement grid penalties etc or will the only penalties be time penalties applied after the race?

#6 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

Definitely the most sensible way to go. I feel I know enough about racing to make those decisions so no need for training. The racing in the first two races has been very clean so I don't think there will be many decisions to make anyway. 

A very important question:

Coss, will you continue to be there at the start of every race? If not, how can we implement grid penalties etc or will the only penalties be time penalties applied after the race?

Part of the idea is to set unique administrator passwords for servers hosting your races, so you guys will be pretty much able to handle this yourselves. Of course, this all requires a lot of trust from our side and professionalism on your side, but I believe it's doable.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#7 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Good idea, but will have to be really strict. 

If any new series emerge, they should have same kind of presentation formatting and advertising as the weekend races.

There should be some interactive calendars, sign up lists etc etc. Just a few forum/chat posts wont provide the flow.

And on the stewarding side, i belive everything has to be done in this system: no live marshalling, but everyone has chances to make

charges after the race. In a long series, penalties are easier to make: you can choose from time penalties in that race or maybe starting

position penalties in the next race etc etc. But overall yes this 2 level thing could work.... if you guys are so reluctant not to expand your own employee base instead lol, it would really do the game good if you did.

BUT overall i see this as splitting from the game main purpose. If people want open servers, they can go to rfactor and pick from a million leagues there or other games. This sim should be in quite some bonds with the real centre, have a professional and reserved yet big employee base who plan everything ahead (not to insult rick, pilota etc who DO quality planning, but i can see many following with not so much depth) and design everything around the needs and plans of the real SRW centre. Then you can go back to your SRW racing centre and report: here is a list of championships and tables with the best simracers in them, all in order etc. Instead of telling them, that half of our content and effort is going into 100 street cars, drifting events and stuff aimed at 501 SQ keyboard players. I do hope most of your money comes from higher up, not younger players who buy 20 dollar cars and then dissapear... but thats more another topic that i just wanted to talk about lol

My list is much longer than yours, but it's just a list and the reality of available features is different, so let's work with what we got and pull everything we can from it. This proposal is just a move that will allow us to expand the number of series and leagues designed by you. Right now there are 2 technically running, one more will be there shortly. I hope for at least a few more being setup in October and have them all up by November. That is when we'll really need the multi level stewarding system to be able to handle everything.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#8 RickSpeed

RickSpeed

Semi-Pro

• 238 posts
  • Facebook:Gibbseykins
  • LocationHuddersfield, UK

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I like the idea in theory, but Is this going to become a requirement? or is it optional?

My only concern is from my point of view...

I am great at being able to spare 30mins here, 20 mins there, usually during work breaks etc to come up with ideas and put them down, work at them and see them through into an event design. Following up on this event idea and actually being there for it is a whole other thing entirely. I have quite a busy job schedule (right now at least), a family and a very overdue amount of course work I need to work on at home, so being there for one of my own events is quite difficult to commit to. It sounds crazy, I know, that I would come up with the ideas and just want them to be carried out by Coss, but it's worked for me so far, otherwise my event ideas would literally never see the light of day. 

So my point is, if this 2 stage marshal idea is an optional thing, then great. If not, then I fear I won't be able to create some new ideas for fear of not being able to be the 1st stage marshal. I suppose I could hire the help of someone that could do the marshalling for me if anyone would be willing and able.

SRW Leagues

Home of the SRW Fantasy League - Win Prizes for Guessing the Outcome of SRO!

My SQ: 968

#9 SRW_Cossacco

SRW_Cossacco

Community Veteran

• Simraceway Team
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

I like the idea in theory, but Is this going to become a requirement? or is it optional?

My only concern is from my point of view...

I am great at being able to spare 30mins here, 20 mins there, usually during work breaks etc to come up with ideas and put them down, work at them and see them through into an event design. Following up on this event idea and actually being there for it is a whole other thing entirely. I have quite a busy job schedule (right now at least), a family and a very overdue amount of course work I need to work on at home, so being there for one of my own events is quite difficult to commit to. It sounds crazy, I know, that I would come up with the ideas and just want them to be carried out by Coss, but it's worked for me so far, otherwise my event ideas would literally never see the light of day. 

So my point is, if this 2 stage marshal idea is an optional thing, then great. If not, then I fear I won't be able to create some new ideas for fear of not being able to be the 1st stage marshal. I suppose I could hire the help of someone that could do the marshalling for me if anyone would be willing and able.

This is a great point Rick and I expected it to be raised. No, it's not something that I'll be forcing on any of you guys, because we don't want to tear a good event idea apart just because the designer is not available, but I'd like you to keep the logistics in mind while preparing everything.

It takes us to a topic raised some time ago, so community stewards. Time to start building this structure. Please stay tuned for another thread, which will allow you guys to apply for such role.

srwhorblackstraprgb5.png

#10 rtmetz92

rtmetz92

Crew Chief

• Banned
  • 659 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

I've been following this topic for the last few days and even though I would like to participate in the F1 series I suggested here in the forum, I really don't mind monitoring the races instead of actually participating in them, so you can count me in to steward that one after, as Cossacco said, another thread is created for such role application and as long as the races take place when I have some free time (it would be on friday and during the weekend). 

It would be also useful to have some guidelines and instructions on how to deal with the control panel, later on :)

Cheers

Speed&Power Motorsport team administrator

You are welcome to join the team -> http://speedandpower.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: series, leagues, stewarding, marshaling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users